Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.

four years ago i had colorectal cancer surgery and 18 inches

four years ago i had colorectal cancer surgery and 18 inches of sigmoid colon removed. currently i need surgery to repair very large hernia and possible bowel obstruction. i cope with chronic constipation on a daily basis. right now i am out of town and haven't had a bowel movement in three days. i have taken miralax, 1 tablespoon of lactulose lots of water and nothing is working, i am miserable and worried. what can i do if anything that would help without hurting myself. my doctor is evaluating me for surgery but i need to know tonight what i can do and should i be worried. barb

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Why were you advised to stop Senekot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My oncologist felt it was too harsh and she felt miralax was a better solution. initially i was on it but it was causing edema in my legs and my stomach seemed to be really swelling up.

Senokot contains two ingredients - Senna and Docussate sodium. Senna works by making bowel muscles contract more often and with more force while docussate causes softening of stool. Since you had an intestinal surgery a dn have a hernia now, Senna is not good for you.

You can use metamucil - this is a laxative whihc absorbs fluid to bilk up the stool. It also coats the stool and makes it slippery to help in easy passage.

Miralax works by causing water retention in the stool which will increase stool frequency. It can take anywhere from 1-4 days to actually start working.

Please try the metamucil - it should be helpful for you. it is also safe.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i just want to clarify this that if i am backed up badly, is bulking up the stool possibly going to cause more problems.

If you are backed up badly, bulking up will not help. Miralax will not help either.

A one time use of senokot will be better. Or you can use a laxative suppository like Dulcolax or fleet suppositories.