DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

hello, dr I have been experiencing some discomfort in my stomach

hello, dr I have been experiencing some discomfort in my stomach for a time it started In May and then I went away after doctor prescibed some omeprazole in May they drew blood and found that my Amalayse serum was 117 in a reference range of I believe 50-101. I am 39 years old and I have been a drinker on and off in my life with occasional binging. But not what I would call and alcoholic. All of my othe blood work was fine, but the doctor sent me to get and abdominal sonogram which resulted in all normal results. The discomfort went away after a few weeks and I was pretty normal until about 2 weeks ago when I began having some discomfort again. blood test again. this time everything was normal but my Lipase serum was 82 in a reference range of 0-60. Now ive read that these numbers always vary according to the lab but,My question is should I be overly worried by these numbers or could it be something dangerous. Dr sent me for a barium swallow this coming up to check for Ulcers. One final thing I had been feeling similarly ill in 2011 and had a endoscopy and colonoscopy done, I believe they found symptoms of Gerd. please help doctor I have two young daughters whom I love dearly I dont want my mistakes as a younger man to affect their lives. Thank you
Hello from ja
Binge drinking is also an alcohol use disorder.

So it automatically qualifies you as having a problem.

If you binge drink even though you had an episode of mild pancreatitis this is qualified as harmful drinking.

All drinking has to stop, for good.

You have mild pancreatic inflammation, it is not serious by the labs.

You need to talk with your GI doctor.

And you should go on a Mediterranean diet.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im sorry doctor.I meant to say I have drank in my life but I dont drink and more last time I had 1 drink was In august for my wedding anniversary and before that I did drink on New years eve but that is all.

August is recent.
When was the lipase done exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the Amalayse was in May and the Lipase was done just this week on Wednesday September 18 2013

OK
No drinking ever.

It is unlikely this is serious, as long as the ultrasound is normal.

And the elevation is not significant.
However, this can become chronic.

Same advice.
a. no alcohol, ever.
b. Mediterranean diet, which is much more vegetarian for now.
c. See a GI specialist if you have not.

I assume you have.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes sir the ultrasound said everything, liver, kidneys, pancreas,gallbladder, everything was normal. So you think if I stay awayfrom alcohol and.all that everything will be fine? I really truly want t be a better healthier person doctor for my children

Yes I do.

Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
thanks
Find me by request any time
here daily...
dt