Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have allergies, post-nasal drip with cough. Just had coughing

I have allergies, post-nasal drip with cough. Just had coughing spell and brought up clump of bloody mucus--also evident when I blew nose
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Do you smoke?

Q. What medication are you on?

Q. Do you have a fever?

Q. Does you chest fee congested? Do you have chest pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not smoke, have no fever, no chest pain. I am on Afrin nasal drops, evista, liothyronine and lexothronie.

Thanks for the reply.

You are prone to cough and phlegm due to your allergies, but the presence of blood in the sputum along with a bout of cough signifies that there is an underlying pathology which may or may not be related to the allergy.
This underlying process can be a lower respiratory tract infection, heart condition or due to trauma to the respiratory passages caused by coughing.
The last one is perhaps the most trivial here but you still need to get this addressed since bleeding from any orifice in the body is an emergency.
The best course of action will be to see a doctor at an urgent care or an ER. An evaluation with clinical examination of the chest and the oral cavity, larynx and pharynx is warranted along with a chest xray and EKG.
Your anti allergic medication should be checked for efficacy and perhaps a new medication should also be added.
Mean while, you need to take steam inhalations with menthol four to five times a day, drink plenty of water and use lozenges to soothe your throat.
You should also gargle with saline water thrice a day and avoid irritants and allergens that induce coughing spells.
You should start using an anti allergic after the doctor has seen you like Loratidine twice a day to avoid coughing spells.
Once the hemoptysis or blood with cough has been evaluated and treated, you should see an Allergist for further evaluation of your allergies and more permanent treatments.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more questions or queries on the subject please reply back.
Best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could the bloody mucus be a result of a broken blood vessel in the nose.? I have previously had my nose cauterized and am prone to nose bleeds periodically.

Thanks for the details.

Yes, it could bethat . But in that case you need to identify whether the blood is coming out with the cough or through the nose.
Since, blood from the nose can not go in to the trachea and then come out with the coughed sputum, it can only go down the food pipe. If it is coming with the sputum and cough then it is coming from the lower respiratory tract.
Hope this helps.
Best.