Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

My ALT came back as 0.8 what does this mean?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Why was the test done?

Any symptoms you have?

Concurrent medical illness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Test was done for life insurance

No symptoms.

No concurrent medical illness.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have replied twice but not heard from you?

Best wishes

Thank you very much for the useful information Sian.

I regret a little delay in answer due to connectivity issue.

This is normal for you. Nothing significant to get worried about.

Yes this is below the normal range (mentioned on your report); but does not signify any abnormality in the liver; simply means that there is nothing wrong with the liver.

There is one special situation; a condition in advanced cirrhosis (where the normal liver cells are damaged and replaced by fibrosis) due to hepatitis B/C or other chronic liver conditions; where the ALT may be normal or below the normal range.

But there is a clear cut history of decades of liver disease previously and high ALT levels in the past in such cases.

If there is no such history in your case, and other liver functions are normal; no symptoms, there is nothing to worry about at all. The normal range of these liver enzymes represents the average levels of the general population. Almost 2-5% of the general population may have lower levels (as their normal).

Stay relaxed.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.