Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

have a question about reflux?

Customer Question

have a question about reflux?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

What is your question?

How long has this been going on?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medication?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this started bout 6 weeks ago.chest hurting.breathing difficulties.sore,raw throat.phlem in throat.hall xrays clear.spirograph clear showed good lung function.barium swallow was normal.upper gi showed gastritis ans small hiatel hernia.biopsy was negative,gi diagnosed me with reflux and out me on omeprozole 40 mg.symptoms of chest have gotten better,throat still raw and phlem. is this normal?sound right to you? just wanted a second opinion.to ease my mind i guess.does it tale a long time to heal my throat?if somthing serious was happening,would he have seen it with the camera?

Brian,

From what you have posted it sounds like you have gotten an excellent workup by your current physicians and you have been started in the appropriate therapy.

You are absolutely right: If there were anything serious going on, like cancer etc, they would have seen it with the camera and it would have also shown up on your other studies too....

Give your throat more time to heal. If things are not better in two weeks, have your GI doc take a look at you again.

So. What is the take home message? I believe you are on the right treatment and things will get better and you will be fine.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so reflux causes all theses symptoms?this is all new to me.the symptoms seem to be going in the right direction....but it going on so long worried me.so its normal for it to drag on for a while?

Brain,

Unfortunately, yes.....healing from this acid reflux can drag on for a bit. And, you might still be having some mild reflux.

But, from what you have told me I feel confident that your doctors have not missed anything that might be more serious.

You can rest easy on this score.

Now. Go out, relax, and have a great weekend ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.. i feel better have a wonderful day

Brian,

My pleasure.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me before you go. The one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so rawness in the throat and a deep,crackly voice is normal while this heals?

Brain,

I do not like the changes in your voice. That would not be a common issue with this.

You should give your doc a call and see what she says....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ive called and left a message.since ive had a barium swallow and upper endoscopy,does that rule out most anything serious?would those two tests showed somthing wrong with mt throat?

Brain,

Yes, those two tests, along with your exam, should have found anything serious that may be going on....

I think, when all is said and done, you will be OK...but I'm glad you gave your doctor a call about the changes in your voice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stomach started kinda hurting yesterday. Dull ache, started upper abdomen. Kinda moves around. Also have very loose stool. Plus it's green. Thoughts?
Brain,

Given the workup you have had, I would not worry about this. The green is from rapid transit and due to normal bile in the stool.

You probably ate something that doesn't agree with you.

Make sense?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)