Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Good afternoon (or morning). I have been experiencing

Good afternoon (or morning). I have been experiencing facial itching for about five months now. It used to just be a little spot between my eyebrows. Now it is primarily on my jaw bone/line and neck, although over the past few days, it feels like it is affecting my entire face. There are times when the itching comes and goes, then I'll have a week or so where it is so intense, it keeps me awake at night. It is definitely more prominent at night. I have tried taking a Claritin-type medication from my German dermatologist and he has recently given me some sort of cream to apply, but I feel like it is worsening. I have had allergy testing and I have a few allergies, like house mites, etc., but I'm beginning to think that it's not allergies since the antihistamines do not see to work.

I also have tingling hands/arms at night (and have for over a year-intensity comes and goes-it's tolerable these days) and my derma. did raise possible MS; however, I had a brain MRI last November (because of headaches and vertigo, which are both gone now) and it was completely clear. Also, my research of MS revealed that the itching associated with MS is short-lived and comes in short episodes. This is an all day itching with more intense itching at night.

Do you have any suggestions about what kind of doctor I should see next? Of course, I'm beginning to worry that I have some horrible disease! ;) (Had some blood work in May and the dr. said all levels were normal, although when I looked at the report, it showed that my lympocytes were a tad below the normal range.)

FInally, on that note, I'll mention that I also suffer from anxiety about my health (no meds or counseling, just a self-awareness that I have anxiety). I understand that lots of symptoms can be a result of stress and anxiety. However, this itching is so pervasive and has been going on for so long, I find it hard to believe it could be cause by stress...I guess anything is possible.
Thank you for listening and for your consideration.
Karen

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you had tests for liver and kidney function?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello please reply to my question - have you had tests for liver and kidney function?

Customer:

Thank you for your response. I had basic annual physical-type blood work in April. All came back normal according to the provider.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there are a number of conditions that need to be ruled out here

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Liver and Kidney problems are the most important things to be ruled out as they can cause such itching

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you need to confirm with your doctor that tests for this were done

Dr. P. Jyoti :

dry skin is also an often overlooked cause of such itching

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care to apply moisturizers regularly

Dr. P. Jyoti :

autoimmune disorders can be the cause of itching

Dr. P. Jyoti :

blood tests like ESR and ANP can rule this out

Dr. P. Jyoti :

nerve problems like peripheral neuropathy can also cause such itching

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if all these causes are ruled out, then stress/anxiety is the most likely cause

Customer:

Ok. I will call to confirm that sufficient liver/kidney function testing were done. Will also ask for the ESR and ANP.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is called idiopathic urticaria, when no specific cause of itching can be found

Dr. P. Jyoti :

treatments for neuropathy include drugs like amytriptilline and gabapentin

Dr. P. Jyoti :

for idiopathic urticaria, a course of steroids is often helpful

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can be combined with the neuropathic drugs

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so basically discuss with your doctor along these lines

Dr. P. Jyoti :

regarding cause - liver, kidney, autoimmune disease, dry skin, neuropathy, idiopathic urticaria related to stress

Customer:

Ok. I will follow up along these lines.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

regarding tests - liver and kidney function tests, tests for autoimmune disease, tests for neuropathy

Dr. P. Jyoti :

regarding medicines - steroids, neuropathic drugs like amytriptilline and gabapentin,

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discussing along these lines should lead to a solution for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Customer:

Thank you!!

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?