Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

I seem to belch a lot..even if I do not eat or drink anything.

I seem to belch a lot..even if I do not eat or drink anything. Stomach always feels bloated. My appetite is still good. My bowel movements are good everyday. I have tried eating less but I still feel bloated and belch. It seems that it comes and goes..for a few days or weeks I feel normal, but then the belching and bloated can also last for days or weeks. I am confused. Thanks

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Since how long do you have this problem?

Heart burn?

Dis-taste of mouth especially when you get up in the morning?

You have not taken any treatment for this so far, right?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe this has progressively got worse/more frequent last couple years.

No heartburn really

No bad taste in mouth

No treatment

Thank you very much for the useful information Corey.

There are a number of possibilities which include either intake of inappropriate diet or a disease process.
Certain types of foods are associated with increase gas production including beans, artichokes, dairy products, lentils, potato, oat and wheat.

Excessive flatulence also occurs in fructose and lactose intolerance.

Irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, and some other disorders can also cause excessive flatulence ---- but they seem least likely in your case since you do not have diarrhea associated with this.

Other important causes in your particular case include Gastroparesis (delayed emptying of stomach), bacterial overgrowth in small bowel, acid reflux from stomach, or an ulcer (or a combination of both the reflux and ulcer).

This can be exacerbated by smoking, stress, alcohol, being over weight, lack of exercise etc.
Getting tested for a bacterium H.Pylori is a reasonable option here as this can cause stomach ulcers, gastritis etc with resultant gas, and belching as well, and if present requires a course of antibiotics.

An upper GI endoscopy may also be required. Drugs like Omeprazole (available over the counter like Prilosec) are beneficial in this situation.

At home you should;

• Avoid large fatty and spicy meals
  • Take small frequent meals instead of three large meals
  • Raise head end of your bed to 6 inches
  • Daily exercise
  • Weight loss
  • Wearing loose clothing and avoiding tights/belts etc

All will help.

A gastroenterology specialist is the best person to help you in this situation so try to get a consultation soon if this problem does not settle down with over the counter measures and diet modification.

While awaiting consultation, you should try to avoid the foods i have mentioned. Moreover, eating slowly and chewing the food well will also be beneficial.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.