Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I had sex with someone I dont know well while on my period

I had sex with someone I don't know well while on my period and without a condom, This was a month ago,, I am waiting the results of the HIV PCR test. I got this rash over the past week. THe lesions under the breast were dramatic..sudden in onset and dark brown They have faded considerably the the little patches are a bit scaly and shiny. Does this look HIV exanthem or just simple pityriosis rosaca I have a question about differentiating a rash from HIV exanthem and pityriasis rose. One month ago I had unprotected sex during my period with a man who tells me he was HIV negative a year ago, in a monogamous relationship with a woman who tested negative a few months ago. A few days ago i had little fatigue, a little sense of being hot and sweating that was transient and resolved. I noticed dark discoloration under my armpit on one side but I didn't look at it carefully. one or two days later suddenly a bunch of oval dark brown lesions appeared just under my breasts very symmetrical with a V shape apex pointing upward at the sternum and flanking my rib cage bilaterally. Then small red pinpoint lesions appeared along my bikini line. Not too many of those but also kind of symmetric. The lesions in th armpit faded to some extent and have dark border with a central clearing. They are scaly. . The ones uder the breast have lightened partially within a few days and have white slightly rough patches. They are aligned with skin folds. I took the HIV PCR test today but I am stressed and the wait time

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Basically I would recommend that you need to see a doctor with this symptom. However I would not worry much about HIV, since even with UNPROTECTED sex, the chance of becoming infected after a single exposure to an HIV-INFECTED person is relatively low and this is based on a study of heterosexual couples in the Rakai district of Uganda discordant for HIV infection (one partner was infected and the other was initially uninfected) where it was found out that the overall risk of HIV transmission rate was 0.12% per coital act in the absence of antiretroviral therapy.

So to summarize the chance of becoming infected after a single exposure to an HIV-INFECTED person is relatively low. This is an extremely low risk. Hence no need to worry.

One of the the earliest symptom of HIV infection is persistent generalized lymphadenopathy (swollen/enlarged lymph nodes). Other symptoms that can be seen are fever, chills, weakness, fatigue, and sore throat. The rash that you are having is not the specific symptoms of HIV, however it requires to be evaluated by your doctor to find out the cause, which could be due to many other conditions.

Also HIV is definitely diagnosed only by the tests and not by the symptoms, since every symptom can have a number of possible causes. Hence the chances of these symptoms to be due to HIV are very very low, therefore you need to stop worrying and just get the tests done as well consult your doctor about your present symptoms.

Most of the HIV tests are antibody tests that measure the antibodies your body makes against HIV. The immune system can take some time to produce enough antibodies for the antibody test to detect, and this time period can vary from person to person, and is commonly referred to as the “window period.” Majority will develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks (the average is 25 days).

Also The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all persons aged 13 to 64 be tested for HIV at least once. Therefore with a negative test you need not worry about HIV infection. The antibody test is a pretty accurate test, and the sensitivity of this test is more than 99% after first 2– 4 months of infection, and specificity is 99%.

Rashes may occur throughout the course of HIV infection, and during the acute phase, a generalized rash is more commonly seen. A localised type of rash can be associated with many different infections, allergies, etc. Therefore please consult your doctor to diagnose the exact cause of your rash.

Also please read the following article to know how to prevent sexually transmitted diseases:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sexually-transmitted-diseases-stds/DS01123/DSECTION=prevention

Please be careful about the next step you take in rating the answer. Please rate the answer as GOOD/EXCELLENT SERVICE(click FOUR/FIVE STARS) if I have answered the question to your satisfaction. However if for any reason you are not satisfied with the answer, never rate the answer as 1 or 2 STARS ("Helped a little" or "I expected more"), since this will not be beneficial for both of us, instead use the Reply to Expert button and let me know the reason for your dissatisfaction so that I can further answer the question to your satisfaction.
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience: Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just developed a sore throat and have swollen glands in my neck today which are tender. The antibody test you mentioned above is this the PCR test? Thank you for your help. Im very scared.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

The symptoms that you are having can be due to other causes also hence show them to your doctor who will order the specific tests if required for diagnosis.

Please ask your doctor about the antibody test which is used for screening of HIV infection. If someone is infected with the HIV virus, his/her body will start to produce infection-fighting proteins against the virus, called antibodies. HIV antibody tests look for these proteins in the blood or other body fluids. You need to get an antibody test now and then again at three months and six months.

Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) detects the genetic material of HIV, and a PCR test can tell whether you have HIV much sooner than the antibody test, usually within two to three weeks of infection.

Take care.