Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Dear Dr. David do you agree that both our conditions,my

Dear Dr. David
do you agree that both our conditions,my Pleurisy and my husbands Blood clot in his lung are probably caused by toxic gas fumes that we both breathed in closed car, both of us became ill at approximatly the same time. we both are still being treated for both conditions, my oncologist believes that fumes caused pleurisy in my case, I already have copd and lung cancer,so Doctor said I was very succeptable anyway to Pleurisy.
CarolAnn Clay
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

yes, I agree with your oncologist. that the fumes could cause irritation in your lungs and possibly cause pleurasy and infection in the lungs.

the blood clot in the lungs is harder to make a connection.

many patients get blood clots in the lungs without exposure to toxic gas fumes.

if he became very sick and bed ridden after the gas exposure, this could have lead to the clot. patients who are bed ridden and can't walk or move much are much more likely to get blood clots in the lungs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband although 90 years old is an extremely active man,you would not beleive his age if you saw him,his recent physical amazed his doctor,nothing wrong could be found and he was declared in excellent health,a few weeks after exposure to heavy toxic gasoline fumes,his chest began to ache,Dr. put him on antibiotics and cough syrup thinking it was just a minor infection but treatment did not help and husband began coughing up blood,Dr. ordered a cat scan,shortly the radiologist called and said get Mr Clay to emergency immmediatly,he has a blood clot in his lung that is life threatening ,he was taken to the operating room and surgeon put a filter in his chest and stated him on Warfarin which he still must take every day,he must have another cat scan in Dec/13 to see when filter can be removed. so you see Dr. David my husband had no lung problems before only after breathing in gasoline fumes,plus my husband never smoked in his life so he had no damage at all to his lungs, You already know my side of this incident,I am still being treated also for the awful pain of Pleurisy,my oncologist had to increase the gabapentin for my pain to 600mgs from 300mgs. This is not a happy time for us!!! CarolAnn Clay

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see your answer to my reply below dated Wednesday 18,2013.Look forward to hearing from you Dr. David if you have anything to add to my letter below. Thankyou CarolAnn Clay

sorry about the delay

thank you for that information about your husband.

this does sound like an aweful incident for you and your husband.

you really should talk to your doctors and get a lawyer to hear your case and see if anything can be settled with those people who obviously didn't completely fix the car.

have you gotten in touch with a lawyer about this issue yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we have met with our attorney and will be meeting again on the 30th,we were instructed to have no contact with car dealer,they have been told by our attorney that my husband and I will not be signing any release due to medical reasons,so this is where we stand at his time Dr. David. Thanks for your reply,if you have anything further to add we welcome your input.

Thankyou CarolAnn Clay

Best of luck to you

I'm glad you have contacted an attorney

Let me know how it goes

Thanks for using JustAnswers