Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I think I might have taken 40mg of celexa twice tonight. I

I think I might have taken 40mg of celexa twice tonight. I can't remember if I took the first one. Will this be okay or could it be harmful?
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It would generally be OK if a single extra dose of Celexa is taken on only one day. In the studies looking at using higher doses of Celexa, there was a higher risk of certain side effects when taking doses higher than 40 mg per day, but this was manifested with chronic use of the drug. Since the drug has such a long half life, it will take a week or two on the higher dose before the blood levels achieve the new higher blood levels. Obviously, there is some increase in blood level with a single extra dose, but it is relatively minor compared to the accumulation of the drug that occurs over a week or two.

The most worrisome side effect that was seen more often with higher doses was certain EKG changes that increase the risk for heart rhythm abnormalities. There is some risk of this occurring at the usual doses, but the risk increases with higher doses.

The other side of the coin is that it is important to establish a system to avoid recurrence of such an error, as repeatedly taking extra doses would carry more risk than a single day of taking an extra dose.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response. I have been really nervous thinking I could possibly overdose on the celexa. I take ativan at night as well so I just wanted to make sure I was okay.

You're welcome, I'm glad I could be of assistance.