911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

I have asked this question before... but I am REALLY stressed

Customer Question

I have asked this question before... but I am REALLY stressed about this issue. I have HSV-2, genital. I got semen on my seat belt in my car... cleaned it with Lysol... and haven't driven it in a month and a half. I have been extremely stressed about using this vehicle again, to the point I take meds for it. Is there anyway possible for this disease, Herpes, to still be a threat to anyone after this timeframe? There's so much unknown with this disease it's very frustrating and scary to me. If it's completely no risk... then maybe I need some other type of help. I really need to find peace with this. Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 10 months ago.

911DOC :

No. No risk of transmission of the virus from the semen on the seatbelt. None.

911DOC :

The virus is not transmitted by semen, it's transmitted by skin to skin contact.

911DOC :

Besides that, it can only 'live' outside the body for a very short period of time.

911DOC :

and is easily killed by air, sunlight, and Lysol.

911DOC :

you can stop worrying about this.

911DOC :

standing by

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

I am here...

Customer:

This thing is killing me... and everyone around me. I can't seem to let the thought go of infecting others cause of this.

911DOC :

then you are correct. you Need to speak to someone in the mental health field.

911DOC :

this is not a medical problem

911DOC :

this is a thought problem

Customer:

My head tells me 6 weeks of leaving the vehicle alone is totally fine. And I did spray down with Lysol too.

911DOC :

I have already told you the scientific/medical answer

Customer:

I don't believe that any virus could survive six weeks... but my anxiety does.

911DOC :

there is no chance. ZERO chance of this being an issue for anyone.

911DOC :

are you there?

911DOC :

it is merely an issue in your mind.

Customer:

I am... thinking. I know you're right. I know the virus is weak and doesn't live long outside the body. My mind and anxiety is doing a number on me I suppose.

911DOC :

yes, your mind and anxiety are definitely doing a number on you.

Customer:

I can live with zero chance... I just need to find comfort in the logic of it.

911DOC :

now that you have recognized that, it's time to speak with someone about it

911DOC :

someone who can address this irrational fear.

911DOC :

yes, I agree with your last statement.

911DOC :

it seems, though, that you know this already, so there is some part of your brain that logic is not reaching.... this part is a psychiatric issue.

Customer:

I know... the part that paralyzes me with fear.

911DOC :

yes

Customer:

Doc, you're telling me there's zero risk... no way the virus, if it was even there, could last 6 weeks in my car. I and my family can resume life without any risk from this?

911DOC :

do you have any final questions for me tonight?

911DOC :

ero

911DOC :

zero

911DOC :

yes, you and your family can resume life without any risk from the seat belt.

911DOC :

or the car.

911DOC :

anything else about this for me tonight?

Customer:

NO, except thank you for your time.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician