Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

24 year old female, cold followed by bronchitis. Waited one

24 year old female, cold followed by bronchitis. Waited one week to see dr., diagnosed w/acute bronchitis (no pneumonia), Zithromax, robitussin DM. Finished z pack yesterday, how long will cough linger? Still harsh and lesser, but continuing.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I am sorry you are having a bad cold and cronchitis.

I hope you had a chest xray which did not show pneumonia.

most bronchitis are viral infections so antibiotics like zithromax don't help you get over the infection sooner.

I'm glad your symptoms are a bit less. sometimes colds can take 1 to 2 or 3 weeks to get over.

you can try over the counter benadryl or tylenol PM at night time to help you sleep at night. getting enough sleep is very important to help your immune system fight off the bronchitis infection.

if you are coughing up yellow or green phlegm, you should get this cultured by your doctor to check for infection and possible bacterial resistance to azithromycin which can cause your infection to last longer as well

are you coughing up any green or yellow phlegm?

have you tried taking any benadryl at night time to help you sleep?

are you gargling with salt water? that can help as well.

make sure you wash your hands frequently to keep from getting others sick as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THank you. It was yellow, that's why they gave me a z pack. It is clear now, but diagnosed bronchitis from chest listening.

Taking Robitussin DM at night and day too. Sleeping alright.

Finshed z Pack yesterday. I need to know how long this cough will continue please

cough from bronchitis can vary from patient to patient, depending on their immune system, how much rest they can get, if they smoke and other factors.

sometimes the cough can last 1-2 weeks.

sometimes it can take even longer than that to get better.

if you are still coughing up lots of clear fluid, you can try over the counter mucinex with drinking lots of water which can help break up the phlegm in the chest and help you bring up the phlegm and help your cough.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have more, actually. Using robitussin DM, if I use Mucinex, do I stop that? I do not smoke. Or is the Robitussin DM OK to continue without the Mucinex?

Cough has been here 2 weeks. One week before any dr. visit, 5 days since dr. visit. 1 day since ending z pack.

you can use both, but keep the total guaifenesin to 2400mg a day or less.

check to see if mucinex might have more guaifenesin. you can take 600mg of guaifenesin 4 times a day.

robitussin DM is ok continue, same ingredients as mucinex DM.

cough could still last 1 or 2 more weeks or even longer

I know you want to get better soon.

but bronchitis often can take sometime to get better

drink plenty of fluid

try to rest as much as possible

and you will get better with time

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. David, I just forgot to I contagious?

you could be contagious, even after the antibiotics.

keep washing your hands and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands afterwards.

so always assume you are contagious when you are ill, to decrease chances of spreading germs.

best of luck to you

I hope you feel better soon.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using