911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I have PVCs.

I have PVCs.  The vary from every other to 1:10 and sometimes are not present.  I am satisfied that my doctors have fully checked that they are not from some underlying deadly cause. (Electrocardiograms and Holter monitors). They offered to do an ablation to relieve symptoms. I am a runner, skier and canoe racer and the beta blocker I tried made me feel like I was running uphill. It lower my max heart rate about 20 bpm and I still had PVCs. Given that there are always risks is it worth it to have the ablation or should I just get used to them? Jim

As your doctors have no doubt explained, PVC's are benign. The question you have to answer is if they bother you to the point that you want to be done with them.

If it were me I would not do it, but if they are causing you distress the ablation might be reasonable (though I must confess I have not heard of ablations being done for isolated PVCs).

HERE IS A GOOD REFERENCE FOR YOU

AND HERE IS A GOOD REFERENCE ON THE POSITIVES AND NEGATIVES OF THE ABLATION PROCEDURE

If this has been a good answer for you, positive feedback is appreciated. If you have questions please ask them below.

Good Day

911doc

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your quick response.

Benign as in no higher risk for heart problems or strokes or other issues? Since they checked me out they still bother me but not worrying about suddenly dieing was a big relief. But if they were to get worse, to the point that it really did drive me crazy would it be a more risky procedure to do when I'm 65+ than now.

Jim

Benign like a freckle. Your cardiologist is a better person to ask about risk of progression as I stated, it is strange to be offered an ablation for PVCs.

PVCs are not likely to progress, in fact, there is no evidence for it.

In terms of the riskiness of the procedure this is not a major invasive procedure, though it does come with it's own special risks as detailed above. Your risk might be slightly higher later in life, but absent other medical problems popping up, the increased risk is minimal.

If it were me I would not do it. This is based on the fact that they are benign in and of themselves, and, based on the fact you told me that they are not limiting... merely bothersome.

Best