Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

Can You Strain Your Throat Muscle?

I think I may have pulled or strained a muscle in my throat. It is very painful when I swallow and feels like I have been punched in the Adam's apple. Is this something serious that I should go to the E.R. for?

Ken :

Since when are you having these symptoms?

Ken :

Are there associated symptoms like fever or cough?

Ken :

Do you have any diagnosed medical condition?

Ken :

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

JACUSTOMER-bgpu72rx- :

I first noticed symptoms about a week ago. I had to sneeze, but I was eating and had food in my mouth so I tried to stifle the sneeze and immediately felt a pain in the muscles in my throat. The pain only lasted an hour or so and became less severe very quickly. I have noticed some sensitivity in my throat since then, but today the pain just came out of nowhere again and is more severe and makes it difficult to swallow.

Ken :

Did you see your throat - is it red?

JACUSTOMER-bgpu72rx- :

Not that I noticed. I haven't looked at the inside of my mouth/throat as it feels more like muscle pain and is painful to the touch. When I first felt the pain I put my hand to my throat and the pressure caused pain around my Adam's apple.

Ken :

Firstly avoid putting your hand in your mouth or throat. You may damage the mucosal lining

Ken :

Pain in the throat can be due to varied causes -

Ken :

The common causes are - Infection {viral, bacterial}/ allergy or post nasal drip/ reflux disease. I would like to consider these first before thinking of muscle sprain.

Ken :

Associated sneezing and pain during swallowing makes me think of allergy or reflux as my first thoughts

Ken :

There is no need to go to ER.

Ken :

A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ throat swab/ scopy should give us more answers.

Ken :

As of now -

Ken :

Warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}/ Motrin and Benadryl should give you relief

Ken :

Warm compress over the neck/ hot chicken soup does wonders

Ken :

Few signs should prompt ER visit -

Ken :

Difficulty in breathing/ severe cough with blood in sputum/ high grade fever or loss of consciousness.

Ken :

Does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-bgpu72rx- :

OK. It sounds like the same thing as for a sore throat from strep. I know this is not strep. The pain was instant and is not inside my throat. Not gastrointestinal. Pain is in the throat muscles and feels like when I swallow it is not moving correctly. Is a warm compress still going to help?

Ken :

Warm compress and Motrin {Ibuprofen} should help.

Ken :

Motrin is anti-inflammatory medicine and it will relieve pain from sprain too

JACUSTOMER-bgpu72rx- :

OK. Will do. Thank you for your assistance and for keeping me from having to pay an expensive E.R. bill for no reason.

Ken :

Wish you well.

Ken :

Best :)