Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

My mother is 90 years old and within the last 6 months her

My mother is 90 years old and within the last 6 months her health has deteriorated dramatically. She now weights 68 pounds and continues to lose weight. She is constantly having to spit (copious amounts) and complains of pain in her stomach. She is barely able to eat and is likely dehydrated. She was given Prilosec and told to avoid acidic foods that would likely aggravate her acid reflux. This has not worked and she refuses to get x-rays or a CT scan for a more specific diagnosis.

Do you have any idea of what her condition might be? How can the spitting be controlled? What can she do for the pain

Thank you. Any information would be useful.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I am sorry about your mother's situation.

it is not easy to try to help her if she is not willing to have tests.

she could have an esophageal cancer blocking her esophagus and because of this, she can't swallow her saliva and she has to continue to spit out everything.

she probably knows this is serious and that she is dying and is scared about testing to find that she has a cancer

the sad thing is that if she had a CT scan and was found to have an esophageal cancer in her esophagus causing a blockage, she could get 2 or 3 weeks of palliative radiation to the area which could shrink the blockage and possibly allow her to eat and drink again.

but if she is not willing to get help, she most likely will get dehydrated and die from dehydration and malnutrition in the next few days and weeks.

I am so sorry for the bad news. I wish I could give you better news.

let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. This is very helpful. Is there anything that she can do for the pain? We are now thinking of hospice so I assume they will provide palliative care. At this point, I think she wants to die but we are trying to convince her she does not need to be in so much pain.

Hospice is a good idea

There are pain medications which can be given under the tongue and can dissolve there so she doesn't have to swallow anything

There are also pain patches which can get medications into her through the skin

She doesn't have to be in pain

I wish you and her all the best

Let me know if you have other questions

If done please leave positive feedback below the chat box

You can always reach me as dr David if you have other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers