Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have been diagnosed with Shingles - only slight as it is

I have been diagnosed with Shingles - only slight as it is just starting. I would like to know when am I infectious and when can I mix with other people. I have been given Aciclovir 400mg tablets one five times a day but if the spots get worse or I feel worse to go back.
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
According to CDC (Centre of disease control and prevention)the virus that causes shingles the varicella zoster virus can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox. In such cases the person exposed to the virus might develop chickenpox but they would not develop shingles. The virus is spread through direct contact with fluid from the rash blisters not through sneezing coughing or casual contact.
A person with shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister phase. A person is not infectious before blisters appear. Once the rash has developed crusts the person is no longer contagious.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Thanks.