Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

What is simethicone and it safe for an 87 yr old man to ta

What is simethicone and it safe for an 87 yr old man to take?
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Simethicone is an anti foaming agent used to reduce bloating, discomfort or pain caused by excessive gas in the stomach .Simethicone is a mixture of polydimethylsiloxane and hydrated silica gel.It can be used in male of 87 year and orally administered.
Positive feedback will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it cause excessive passing of gas?

Thanks for your follow up question.
Yes Simethicone does not reduce or prevent the formation of gas in the stomach it increases the rate at which it exits the body.However simethicone can relieve pain caused by gas in the intestines by decreasing foaming which then allows for passing of flatulence.
Please leave positive feedback for me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Abid, Perhaps I am using the wrong drug. I don't have stomach gas pain, I have excess flatulence. Maybe I asked you the wrong question. How can I decrease the excess flatulence?

Thanks for coming back...
For Flatulence in addition to Simethocane you can use Charcoal tablets that may help you out. You take them before and after a meal. They're available in natural food stores and many drugstores as over the counter.So try that.Flatulence results from eating fatty foods. Fat delays stomach emptying and can increase the sensation of fullness and flatulence so cut fatty meals and dairy products.