Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician

I have been experiencing a chest tightness (no pain) that I

I have been experiencing a chest tightness (no pain) that I thought was asthma related for the past two weeks. It is at its worse in the evening. When I use an inhaler it has no affect. It feels like I can't get my lungs full of enough air. I also experience a lot of mucus in the back of my throat. I have noticed that I seem to have a lot of stomach gas in the evening as well. Could this all be stress related? I have just gone through a move and job change.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Does chest pain becomes, severe when you take deep breath?
Do you have numbness in left arm/ jaw?
Do you suffer from post nasal drip?
Do you suffer from acid reflux disease? Nausea?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not suffer from severe emotional stress, but I have had a very stressful month with a job change, move and car break down.

There is no pain, just a feeling of pressure on my lungs and the feeling of not getting enough air.

There is no numbness in my arm/jaw.

There is no nasal drip.

I have noticed a lot more gas in the evening but I do not have any acid coming up into my throat, and no nausea. I do have hypertension that is treated with Accuretic.

Dear Sandy, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Such symptoms can come due to increase swallowing of gas during drinking and increase production of gas in colon from undigested food.
It would cause chest tightness and heaviness feeling.

You should avoid foods which are causing increase in gas production, You should not eat/drink too fast, chew the food properly, increase water intake, avoid smoking, cut down fat intake, and increase your daily mobility.

You should avoid these foods-

beans, peas, lentils, cabbage, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, raisins, whole-wheat bread, salads and carbonated drinks.

You can try OTC simethicone to reduce such symptoms. This would be helpful.
Lifestyle habits such as meal timings, regular sleep timings and most importantly regular bowel movements are also important. Some amount of physical activity is essential for the efficient functioning of your digestive system.

You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.
It is advised that you should eat six small meals a day rather than three large ones. Smaller meals are easier to digest and may produce less gas.
Take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. Take Zantac 150mg twice a day.
A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.
You should get your diet planned from dietitian.

Having stressful period, for last one month, can aggravate such symptoms.

You should practice yoga and meditation for relaxation, Deep breathing exercises will help you.
One should avoid caffeine, alcohol. Take healthy and well balanced diet.

Please follow above measures, and consult your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.