Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi.... I have a history of woman in my family having thyroid

Hi.... I have a history of woman in my family having thyroid issues... I am 50 yr old 245 lb female and I have been losing large amounts of hair, I am fatigued, cold and I never get cold.. My primary physician did thyroid blood test and tested my hormone levels.. My estrogen level was 1775 claims my thyroid is fine... I have unexplained weight gain of 50lbs in last few months mostly in stomache area, everyday I feel sicker and sicker with no answers.. I'm now having extremely bad headaches & dizziness, memory loss, ect
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you have the results of the thyroid blood tests?
Were any other hormone levels checked other than the thyroid and the estrogen level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they just told me everything looked good with exception of estrogen levels... They tested hormones to see if I was in perimenopause which they are trying to say I'm not and that cannot be the fact... I get the hotflashes, night sweats , irregular periods

It is difficult for me to comment upon the situation without knowing what tests were done or the results.
Is it possible that you could get the results?
Or, could you clarify what information would be helpful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what if I give u all symptoms I have been having?? Because all I got for info was that everything with bloodtest were fine with exception of high estrgen levels

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have serious hairloss, unexplained weight gain over past several months, fatigue, body aches, constipation past several months, blood pressure has been running high and I have never had blood pressure issues, headaches, dizzyness, skins extremely dry, acne, change in menstrual cycle ... FAMILY HISTORY every woman on my moms side of family has thyroid issues that usually start around age 50

There is only so much that can be determined from the symptoms alone.

The symptoms are certainly suspicious for thyroid disease, although you already know that. Since the diagnosis cannot be made based on symptoms alone, the usual next step is an analysis of the thyroid blood tests, which is why I asked for the results of the blood tests. Therefore, although I can say that the symptoms are consistent with thyroid disease, it is difficult to comment further without the blood tests.

There are other endocrine problems that can cause similar symptoms. It is true that menopause can cause many of the typical symptoms of thyroid disease. Obviously the estrogen level should be low if menopause is present, but the full assessment should also include FSH/LH levels. It is also possible that many of these symptoms could be related to adrenal disease, particularly elevated levels of cortisol, the primary adrenal hormone. It certainly is possible that you doctor also checked the levels of cortisol, which is why I asked what other hormones were checked.

I'm still not sure if this is the information that you are seeking. If any further information would be of benefit, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

one last ?.. Do u think it is worth going to see an endocrinologist?? I have an appt but its over a month away and every day I feel worse

Yes, it certainly would be of value to see an Endocrinologist. Many people with thyroid disease have a straight forward presentation and respond well to initial management, so it is not true that everyone with an endocrine problem needs to see an Endocrinologist. The people that benefit from seeing an Endocrinologist are those people with a more complicated or unclear presentation, those that require a more involved evaluation, or those that do not respond well to initial management, and you are one of these people. There is no magic answer for how you can be seen sooner, although talking with the office staff and asking if you could be called if there is a cancellation may be helpful.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.