Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hi im a 35 yr old female and i have a concern with a constant

Hi im a 35 yr old female and i have a concern with a constant pain i get in my left side near where my kindney is. Its weird because atm im on a high protein diet and drink lots of water and that seems to make it worse. I havent pulled any muscles or strained my back its more of a ache that i feel. Also i have a constant heavy feeling in my bladder. Can you please help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

There was no element of infection in the urine test right?

K --- means poitive ketones in urine?

Do you have fever?

Since how long do you have this pain?

Any other tests done so far?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no fever and no infection in my urine. i have had the pain on and off for about 2 yrs but it has got worse. i find it weird the more water i drink the worse of it seems to get. my body retains fluid especially around my legs so i thought if i drink lots of water my body wouldnt retain fluid as much. my only condition is factor 5 leiden. no test done so far. i had lap band in 2008

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Jaye.

Positive ketones in the urine can be due to high protein intake; so its a normal finding if you are consuming high amount of proteins. Similarly, if you are exercising more than usual, again presence of small amount of proteins in the urine is normal.

However, this should not be giving you any symptoms ideally if your body is physiologically producing and excreting proteins/ketones.

At this point, the only test that is going to provide the most useful information is an ultrasound or CT scan of the urinary tract (kidneys/ureter/bladder).

This will rule out the possibility of a stone, or other inflammation in the urinary tract that may also give rise to similar symptoms.

Another remote possibility is of a pinched nerve in the spine (due to disc prolapse or vertebral degeneration) that can give you similar pain in the kidney area and an MRI of the spine is the useful test to diagnose this with certainty.

However, at this point, i would suggest you to keep yourself adequately hydrated, repeat the urine test, and if still abnormal, get CT scan of the renal tract done.

If any abnormality detected, or if deemed necessary, the doctor may order other tests as well such as Renal Function tests, or kidney biopsy.

See your doctor discussing all these details to get further management plan chalked out.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities