Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

A patient was given intraveinous zovirax for 30 days, taken

A patient was given intraveinous zovirax for 30 days, taken to a different hospital where they said they would start from scratch and give her another 30 days of same meds - would this have been effective as all I have found online is that anything more than the 30 days zovirax is ineffective

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Customer:

Hello still here just not used to this layout

Customer:

Sorry I am looking for a reply but cannot see it anywhere

Dr. Cameron :

hold on a sec

Dr. Cameron :

what was the medication for?

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Dr. Cameron :

I am sorry I had a computer problem

Dr. Cameron :

I don't see that you are online any more

Dr. Cameron :

Yes, you are correct, in general acyclovir is not given twice for more than 30 days

Dr. Cameron :

If it did not work in the first 30 days, it is probably not going to work in the next 30 days

Dr. Cameron :

They need to consider a different antiviral

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that this helped

Dr. Cameron :

I am really sorry that my computer stopped working

Dr. Cameron :

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)

Customer:

Thanks for that (computers always glitch lol)

Customer:

She was hospitalised whilst on holiday in Bulgaria - found collapsed in hotel room - at first was told she had meningitis, then that she was having lots of mini strokes - after lumber puncture/mri was finally diagnosed with herpes simplex encephalitis - they sent us to find the meds as they had nothing like that (rare ) The upshot being that she did not get the intraveinous meds 'till 7 or 8 days after first symptoms (online it says optimum time is getting meds within 2 days of onset. On getting her back to UK all treatment started again but now they don't seem to be doing anything with her, she finished meds 5 days ago and so far they are waiting to have discussions. Can you give me any insight as to the next step - the family know the outlook could be a bit grim but we are not being informed about anything so you can understan we are not very happy. Anything you can add would be appreciated.

you are welcome.

Did you have another question about this or did I provide you with excellent service?