Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Follow up clindamycin / multi antibiotic question

Hi again. I appreciate the last answer. I was doing great for about five days. In fact I was eating big meals like mad, but one night I ate gluten free pasta and felt terrible afterwards with abdominal cramps. Now 2 days later, the pain is better (it comes and goes) but is not completely gone. No fever so far.

I just started probiotics again (had stopped for the whole five days) and that has helped. No diarrhea. I do have slightly loose stools on and off alternating with normal ones. I have been off the antibiotics for 7 days now.

Second question, was a bit worried about the infection coming back. My doctor gave me the go ahead to stop the antibiotics. My wisdom teeth extraction sites look good but I was getting on and off canker sores (gone right now) but assumed that was viral.

EDIT: sorry, so I guess my FIRST question is, do I need to contact my doctor over these abdominal cramps? All these websites (Mayo Clinic, etc) seem to indicate that even just one symptom after taking clindamycin warrants a doctor's visit, but I don't know if I'm reading that wrong.

I don't want to risk colitis.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer again.

There are several issues to consider int his situation.

One of the common side effects to antibiotics is an alteration in the normal germs of the gut, which will most often present as diarrhea or abdominal cramping, but also can cause someone to be sensitive to alterations in the diet. Since you have been able to get off the antibiotics, this will usually resolve spontaneously, although the probiotics will also help. If the sensitivity to certain foods continue, it would be wise to avoid those foods, at least for a while. Persistent symptoms may also improve with an increase in fiber in the diet.

Canker sores are actually an inflammatory process, rather than an infection. A virus can cause recurrent sores in the mouth, called cold sores; this is caused by herpes virus. Canker sores can occur in response to a variety of stimuli, and the usual first-line treatment are medicines that can be applied to the sores to ease symptoms, and the sores will typically resolve spontaneously. If these are cold sores, then there are medicines to suppress the herpes virus, such as acyclovir or valacyclovir. These medicines can be used both to accelerate recovery from the acute infection and to prevent recurrent cold sores in someone with frequent exacerbations. If it is unclear whether these are canker sores or viral infection cold sores, it would be appropriate to see your doctor. An examination is usually sufficient to differentiate, but in uncertain cases, tests can be done to determine the cause.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I did sort of go crazy eating all sorts of food after my appetite returned. I guess that was a bad idea. So not much chance this is colitis? It is my very first bout of constant abdominal cramps since I stopped the antibiotics. I had discomfort and distension before, but not this constant gut churning and (mild to moderate) pain.
No, it would be very unlikely that this would be colitis. And the particular form of colitis over which you were concerned, from C. difficile, would typically present with more significant symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad to hear that, thank you!
You're welcome. I hope that everything goes well.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating. Thank you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.