Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Been to two doctors about this problem one my MD the other

Been to two doctors about this problem one my MD the other a surgen. The both say there is nothing to worry about , that it is just my age. I'm 51 yrs old. But I'm still not sure what it is or how to get rid of it. I have a foot ball shaped protrusion that extence out of my stomache area when I do leg lifts or strain my mustles in my stomache area in any way Doesn't hurt but it does not inspire confidence and it does look like something trying to get out. Is there some way to get rid of this thing. Diet, excercise? Other then that I'm in good health, do have high blood pressure which is controled by medication.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

What is the size of that protrusion?
Any history of previous abdominal surgery?
Have they mentioned anything like hernia?

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The protrusion runs from just below the sternum to just above the belly button. and is about 4 inches wide at the widest point and rises up out of my skin about 1 to 2 inches.

I've had no surgeries on my stomach ever.

They stated that it is not a hernia. The said it is like a bubble, one layer of musle is pushing up thru the top layer. No one has offered a solution to the problem.

Thanks a lot for your input. The further information you have given me has helped a lot in understanding your problem. This is not hernia, this is actually called divarication recti. There are two rectus muscles forming mid line of our abdominal wall. In some people they are not well connected and there is a gap between the two. This gap leads to the protrusion like you have. There is no treatment required for this condition and this doesn't lead to any complications either. You can continue your activities like you are doing and don't stress yourself for that. If you want to get this repaired for cosmetic purpose you can but i really don't suggest you to go for it and your doctor will not agree either but it can be done if you want preferably by a plastic surgeon. So there is nothing to be worried and your doctors have rightly guided you. I wish you all the best for a good health. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will any type of exercise help this condution or will it get bigger with exercise

Thanks a lot for your input. Yes incorrect exercises can make the defect bigger. There are many exercises which you can do like be in a seated position, place hands on that protruded area. Take small controlled breaths and slowly contract the abdominal muscles, pulling them straight back towards the spine, hold contraction for 30 seconds, while maintaining the controlled breathing. Repeat this 10 times. You should consult a physiotherapist who can actually teach you how to exercise and specially how not to. I wish you all the best for a good health. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.