Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I am a recovering alcolic. Ive been Clean and Sober for 6+

I am a recovering alcolic. Iv'e been Clean and Sober for 6+ Months. I have also been treated for Hep. c-last blood test my Gastrointerologist informed me I'm in complete remission. My question is what could cause occasional rectal bleeding. Not in my stool, but after I wipe. Occasional pain and discomfort also. Thought my drinking/diet was the cause but still persists. average of 3 or 4 times a week. Have not had a Colonoskopy(sp?) or talked to my family MD. I am taking this seriously after some web research. Several members of my family have had Cancer of various types. Should I bypass my MD and go straight to my Gastrointerologist?. My Health insurance does not require a referral to see a Specialist and Financial matters dictate I get the most "bang for my buck" I'd appreciate your thoughts on this longwinded "guestion", I'm just freaking out a bit, and need some advice. Thankyou...
Hi there.
Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr.Abid a Medical Internist and will help you out.
Fresh blood after wipe is highly likely because of hemorrhoids and you should get Proctoscopy first from Gastroentrologist not from MD.It seems that you do not have any serious issues hemorrhoids can be managed both Medically and Surgically so proceed as I advised you.
Regards XXXXX XXXXX luck.
Please leave positive feedbcak for me.