Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

TODAY I AM 86 YEARS OLD BORN DECEMBER 3RD 1926. 7 YEARS

TODAY I AM 86 YEARS OLD BORN DECEMBER 3RD 1926.

7 YEARS AGO A SMALL BENIGN COLONIC POLYP WAS REMOVED DURING COLONOSCOPY PROCEDURE

ONE MONTH AGO A MINISCULE BLOOD WAS DISCOVERED IN STOOL,

I AM IN PERFEECT HEALTH WITHOUT ANY DISCOMFORT. MY BOWEL HAS NO MOVEMENT PROBLEM. I TAKE ONE BABY ASPIRIN A DAY OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. I ALSO TAKE ONE BENICAR CAPSULE A DAY FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. I HAVE NO PROBLEM URINATING .
MY CONCERN IS THE PREP THE DAY PRIOR TO A COLONSCOPY.

IS IT NECESSARY AT AGE 86 TO UNDERGO ANOTHER COLONSCOPY.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

It is may not be necessary, but there are a couple factors to consider.

The current recommendations of the US Preventive Health Task Force is that people that are low risk can stop having screening colonoscopy at age 75, but should continue for high risk people. There is no clear age at which screening should stop for high risk individuals, but it would primarily be determined by other medical problems and average life expectancy.

The factors that would define whether you are high risk would be a positive personal or family history of colon cancer or if that polyp that was removed was a benign adenomatous polyp.

Your history is also complicated by the recent discovery of blood in the stool, as unexplained blood in the stool would also be an indication for a colonoscopy, unless other medical problems indicate a shorter average life expectancy. If there is another condition to explain the blood, such as a hemorrhoid or a fissure, that would be less of a concern.

If your only other medical problem is controlled high blood pressure, that would not indicate a shorter average life expectancy.

The other issue is relative to your personal preferences. A colonoscopy at your age is clearly less likely to be of benefit as when you were younger. If you have a personal preference that you would rather accept what risk would be present and avoid the colonoscopy, that is a reasonable decision.

Therefore, if you do not have any of the high risk factors and there is another explanation for the blood in the stool, then there clearly is less need to have the colonoscopy, but otherwise, the other factors noted above should be weighed and then you can make a personalized decision of whether to proceed with colonoscopy.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.