Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I wonder what it would be like if I had a child, a boy, and

I wonder what it would be like if I had a child, a boy, and had to decide whether to circimsize him. What is the common practice these days in North America?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing Internal Medicine Physician. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I have a son and he was circumcised.

It is the most common decision to do that these days in America.

there has been some studies that show that circumcised men have lower incidence of STDs

Also, it is for social purposes. most guys are circumcised so socially it is better if you circumcise your children

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How does having a flap of skin removed from your penis make for better "social" circumstances?

I am aware of the STD studies as one reason, yes.

Picture a high school football team Reg.

All the other boys are circumcised in the locker room and your son is the only one that isn't. he would get ridiculed for this likely.

Also, females are used to a non circumcised penis here Reg.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

A moment or two of temporary, hypothetical locker room banter seems like a questionable reason. So do the hypothetical desires of a hypothetical woman.

I guess I have moral questions about this. It must hurt the boy. The STD information persuades me, are there other medical reasons to do this?

Reg, I think you forget how cruel kids can be.

Nevertheless, it absolutely hurts the child. And it is quite painful to watch as I have seen several.

There really are no other medical reasons though.

And keep in mind it is your choice. you won't be doing significant harm to your son by not circumcising him. It is simply slightly better for him socially and for STD prevention
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution