911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

I have had swollen lymph nodes in my stomach for at least 5

I have had swollen lymph nodes in my stomach for at least 5 weeks previously having had the same in my neck for 3 months although they have nearly recovered now. Fatigue is a big factor, anything to strenuous leaves me feeling exhausted for the next hour or so. I've had two doctors opinions, both agree on swollen lymph nodes but one says I have an enlarged spleen, the other a slightly enlarged liver. Tests for glandular fever have come back negative twice now, I'm being told its a viral infection and time will cure it. Is this the correct course of action to take?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 10 months ago.

911DOC :

Did you have this illness begin with a sore throat and flu-like illness?

911DOC :

Has your blood work come back normal or are there some abnormalities?

911DOC :

Sometimes the test for glandular fever (mononucleosis) is negative intitially then goes positive

911DOC :

If that IS your diagnosis your story is quite typical for this viral illness

911DOC :

And time is the only thing that will get you well

911DOC :

And it often takes many weeks to recover

911DOC :

So I think what your doctors have said so far is correct, however, it bothers me that they have not had a positive test for glandular fever.

911DOC :

It would be nice to know that this is THE diagnosis

911DOC :

So I think that question should be asked.... ie, 'can we say for sure that this is glandular fever, and, if not, what else do we need to be thinking of?'

911DOC :

I am standing by if you have questions about my answer

911DOC :

but will switch to the Q and A format for ease of use

911DOC :

if this has been a satisfactory answer positive feedback is appreciated

911DOC :

if you have more questions please ask them in the reply box below and I will get back with you asap

911DOC :

best

Expert:  911DOC replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Blood work has come back satisfactory although consistent with having had a viral infection. I did have a sore throat weeks ago and the fatigue has been there for months although not at the level it is now. Is it worth another test for glandular fever as I believe it is an antibody search or what other tests in your opinion may be worthwhile? Also have muscle twitching in my calfs, this is only recent and possibly unrelated to the other symptoms.

Expert:  911DOC replied 10 months ago.

I think it's time to get the antibody test done to clinch the diagnosis. As to the calf twitching it's hard to say what this might be but it is likely related to your illness. Various complications of dehydration that involve electrolytes like calcium and potassium can cause muscle twitching. This is almost always a benign symptom. The other lab test that your doctors will want to follow is your CBC (blood count) to make sure that your lymphocytes and other white blood cells are in the range we would expect from glandular fever.

To make sure you are well hydrated is relatively simple... just drink enough water so that your urine is a light yellow color... not clear and not dark yellow or orange.

Best

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician