Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am having severe cramping with no bowel movement. For the

I am having severe cramping with no bowel movement. For the past two days I have ran a mild fever and had diarrhea. I took Imodium for the diarrhea and drank plenty of water. Now the fever has broke and I am having these complications for the last 24 hours.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The most common cause of these symptoms would be a viral infection of the gut, called a viral gastroenteritis. There are some bacteria that also can affect the gut, but a viral infection is far more common.

There are several home interventions that can be tried for relief of severe cramping. It certainly would be OK to take some acetaminophen as a pain medicine; the other over the counter pain medicines have common side effect of an upset stomach, so would be better to avoid in this situation. The other intervention that may help would be to try to replenish the good germs in the gut. With any cause of diarrhea, the good germs in the gut can get partly flushed out, and replenishing the good germs can help restore normal health of the gut. This can be done by eating yogurt with an active culture or by taking a dedicated probiotic supplement. There are no over the counter medicines to help ease cramping, although some people may find some relief in one of the sedating antihistamines, such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine).

You are correct to be drinking plenty of fluids and following a BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, and toast). As the stomach starts to calm down, then the diet can be advanced.

If these interventions help ease symptoms, then it would be appropriate to continue these interventions until the symptoms resolve completely. However, if you continue to have severe cramping despite these interventions, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would this explain the lack of bowel movement now? I feel the sensation to use the bathroom (bowel movement) and my body strains excessively, but there is no bowel movement.

Yes, because the system has been flushed out by the diarrhea. There is too little material in the colon for the body to make any stool. The muscles of the colon can contract, but if there is nothing in the colon, nothing will come out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I try to eat more? BRAT diet of course. It's extremely painful when this occurs.

No, it would be better to wait until the symptoms start to improve before advancing the diet. In fact, if eating the BRAT diet is painful, it would be better to only be drinking clear liquids, and then as symptoms improve, resume the BRAT diet, and then advance the diet further if the BRAT diet is tolerated well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you doctor you have been very helpful. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating.