Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Hello! My mom took 4 weeks of weekly carbo taxol and that

My mom took 4 weeks of weekly carbo taxol and that finished 4 weeks ago. The last couple of weeks she has been having mild upper thigh pain on BOTH legs. However last night she woke up with severe (8 of 10) pain in her upper front right thigh ONlY. There was no swelling. Maybe a bit warmer on that leg in the back thigh, but not a huge change between both legs. She took a tramadol and pain got much better after 30 mins. This morning she had a bilateral ultrasound full legs and there are no dvt. Also, yesterday morning before the pain (12 hrs before) she had rouyine labs and wbc was 2.1 and abs neuteophils 1.2 (they have been slowly rising after chemo). her pain has been almost gone all day today, but its coning back a bit tonight. Thoughts? Thanks
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

I am a cancer doctor.

if she has been given a neupogen shot, this can cause bone pain in the thighs from the neupogen trying to promote white blood cell counts.

the bone pain can also be from the body trying to promote white cell count production which can cause pain as well.

I am glad her ultrasound didn't show a DVT.

her doctors should have given her pain medications for bone pain.

has she received neupogen shot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No neupogen. Would hone marrow pain be one leg only? Is this life threatening if no dvt?
Yes could be bone marrow pain if just one leg

Most likely not life threatening if no dvt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Quick follow up. Her pain is now in her right knee and radiating up. Pain comes and goes. Thoughts? Thanks
could be from arthritis

chemo can depress the immune system. she could have septic arthritis which would be unlikely

high blood uric acid could be causing gout crystals in her knee as well causing pain.

she might need to get her uric acid levels checked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gotcha. Tramadol controls the pain. Do u think its ok to wait until Wednesday that she sees her oncologist?

Thanks so much
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would septic arthritis pain come and go? It's fine one hr and painful the next one, etc. tramadol controls it just fine. Wbc wed was 2.1 and. Neutrophils abs 1.1 Pain began Wednesday night in upper thigh and its now starting in the knee and radiating up. Thanks so much!
septic arthritis would cause intense pain and fevers

the pain sounds like more likely arthritis or from the femur marrow working to produce more white blood cells.

I am glad that the tramadol works fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the knee pain. it doesn't sound mega serious.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much! Her temp I just took is 96.8 :) I appreciate u so much!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dr. david....what about sciatica or a pinched nerve? pain goes from knee up to upper thigh. comes and goes every hr or so.

Her knee and thigh pain could be coming from a pinched nerve in her lower back or from sciatica type of pain.