Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

For ENT---I had an ultrasound of my thyroid because I have

For ENT---I had an ultrasound of my thyroid because I have been having discomfort sometimes when swallowing, and in particular when my neck is stretched or turned and I talk. An oblong pill cut in half always gets stuck and hurts as I try to dislodge it when swallowing. The ultrasound was normal. Blood levels were normal also. Should I seek a consult with a specialist, or does this sound like nothing too worrisome? Thank you.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you should consult with an ENT specialist and get a direct nasolaryngoscopy scope to look down the throat to look for areas of narrowing. if this is normal, you might need to consult with a GI doctor who can perform an upper endoscopy to look down your esophagus to look for narrowing or scar tissue which could be causing you discomfort when swallowing. you could have acid reflux damage of your esohpagus or your throat. ultrasound would not see acid reflux damage.

do you have a doctor you can see who can refer you to an ENT specialist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Yes, I do have a primary care physician who can make a referral. If there is narrowing, is there treatment? Would narrowing continue to narrow? Symptoms started suddenly a month ago.

yes, there is treatment like dilation for narrowing of the esophagus.

if you have acid reflux, you can have acid blockers to help decrease acid damage. but you need a scope down your throat and esophagus to see what might be going on.