Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Since 2 weeks ago, I had the abdominal/pelvic issue, Ive lost

Customer Question

Since 2 weeks ago, I had the abdominal/pelvic issue, I've lost 15 pounds. I started at 324 and am now at 309. My daily meal consists of a lot of apple sauce, some yogurt, gatorade/water, etc... I've recently been eating turkey breast sandwhiches. I have not worked out at all.

Today I felt like I came down with the start of bronchitis. (I've had it before, and I believe it's chronic). Not sure how I'm losing the weight, but I'm concerned. I was told before with my weight that weight loss
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
What type of problem did you have 2 weeks ago (the JustAnswer archive is currently not working, so I cannot see any previous questions)?
Did the abdominal/pelvic symptoms resolve?
If you are still having abdominal symptoms, what symptoms are you having?
When you say that you have had intake of a lot of Gatorade/water, how much are you drinking in a day?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had extreme pelvic and abdomen pain. Felt like I was going to blow up. I went to the doctor...had blood work. All normal. Did an x-ray on the abdomen. Came back normal. Was told to take stool softeners, metamucil, and gas-x. I stopped losing interest in eating a lot. I took stool softeners (2 per day on the next 2 days). Weighed myself. I was down 12 pounds. (I started at 324...am now at 309) (I'm 5'9"). The day I saw I was down 12 pounds I went back in. Was told it was a concern, but not much due to my weight. Had a CT Scan. Came back clean and no concerns. Blood work again, normal. (only things that were slightly up were white blood cells and red blood cells (but not average wise)). Came home. Next day I defecated (was great). Started having awful pains in the groin (hernia kind of feeling). Stool became paleish yellow and had bits of blood in it. Went back to the doctor. Was told the dye turns it yellow. Went home. Was woken up by an awful pain in the groin next morning. went back to doctor. doctor did some kind of rectal exam (wasn't fun...don't exactly like things going up there). said abdomen was fine. went home. went to pcp later, had a temp of 99.4 (all other times it was 98.7, etc..). developed a cough. over the past week it's gotten a little more stiff. Weight went up a little, but is back down again now to 309. Had awful back pain. got stiff neck, jaw (both right side) numbness in fingers, foot. awful pain in elbow... I've been on a bland diet (which blows), since the xray.

How long before you started having these symptoms did you note the weight of 324 pounds?
Was the weight of 324 and 309 obtained on the same scale?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes they were. I was originally 324. Well...not really. At the start of the summer (June) I was 327. Started walking everyday (4+ miles or so). Eating healthier. Went down to 324 in Early August. Doc was happy. Had Chipotle on Wednesday night (2 weeks ago from this previous wednesday). Was 324 then. It's 2 weeks and a few days later. Now 309. I've been on a bland diet since then. Don't eat a lot all the time. Do take gas pills. Do take acid reducer...

Thank you for the additional information.

When someone has this much weight loss in a short period of time, it is not due to the kind of weight loss that is desired in overweight persons, i.e., loss of fat weight. If you calculate the amount of calories that either must be avoided in the diet or burned by exercise, it is extremely difficult to loss this kind of weight in this short a period of time. Even if someone follows an extremely restrictive diet and lose a large amount of weight in the first week or two, the majority of that weight loss is water weight, rather than fat weight.

Therefore, in someone with this much weight loss over 2 weeks, the usual question is how is the body losing water weight. This is most often seen as vomiting or diarrhea, although there also can be increased water loss from heat in someone having a fever.

In your case, there could be an unusual factor, in that the retained stool that was successfully evacuated would have some weight, but it would be very unusual to lose this much weight from evacuation of retained stool. Sometimes, the fluid loss can be related to excessive loss of fluid in the urine, such as from metabolic conditions like diabetes.

From your symptoms, there is no apparent source of fluid loss, but it would be appropriate to increase fluid intake to improve hydration. I asked how much Gatorade/water you were drinking because it usually will require the drinking of more fluids than what most people would realize, about 3-4 liters per day.

If drinking extra fluids stabilizes the weight loss, then there is no reason for concern. If the weight loss continues, then it would be appropriate to look for metabolic causes for the weight loss.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I drink maybe 5 bottled waters/gatorade a day. sometimes 6. some days i take metamucil. (at times 6 pills. some days 2).

what would you mean by metabolic causes?

mind you, i've seen nearly 15 different doctors in 2 weeks or so. i freak out and get worried all the time about the health. (mainly because I lost my aunt (not blood related - i was adopted) to pancreatic cancer in july (she was 72); and an ex-friend (who was 44) to the same. in the same time frame.

I've been told time and again it's not cancerous. (By many different docs (including one on here). I'm hoping it's not. I freak out, over analyze and worry a lot. The GI and PCP both told me they truly don't think it is either.

Whether this is sufficient would depend upon the size of the bottle. This would be adequate if thee are larger bottles, and the total is 3-4 liters per day.

As noted above, the most common metabolic problem that can present with significant fluid loss is diabetes. Also, diabetes is more common in overweight individuals and acute illnesses can cause a sudden worsening of metabolism, so that diabetes may get suddenly worse or present with the initial manifestation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

TIME POST PRANDIAL, PATIENTNot provided by clinical area
GLUCOSE, RANDOM70-139 MG/DL90
BUN7-24 MG/DL18
CREATININE0.7-1.5 MG/DL0.9
SODIUM135-145 MEQ/L144
POTASSIUM3.5-5.5 MEQ/L4.3
CHLORIDE97-111 MEQ/L103
CO222-32 MEQ/L24
ANION GAP SERPL13-20 MEQ/L21
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, NONAFRICAN AMERICAN>60 mL/min/m>60

GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE,

AFRICAN AMERICAN

>60 mL/min/m>60

ComponentStandard RangeYour Value
DIFFERENTIAL METHODAUTOMATED DIFFERENTIAL
NEUTROPHILS %65.3
LYMPHOCYTES %22.1
MONOS %10.0
EOSINOPHILS %2.2
BASOPHILS %0.4
NEUTROPHILS1.7-6.3 X10006.50
LYMPHOCYTES1.1-3.5 X10002.20
MONOCYTES0.1-0.9 X10001.00
EOSINOPHILS0.0-0.7 X10000.20
BASOPHILS0.0-0.1 X10000.00

ComponentStandard RangeYour Value
WBC'S AUTO3.5-11.0 K/UL9.9
RBC, AUTO3.90-5.80 MIL5.16
HGB12.9-17.2 G/DL15.2
HEMATOCRIT40-51 %43.7
MCV78-101 CMICRON84.8
MCH22-35 PG29.4
MCHC30-36 GM/DL34.7
RDW, BLOOD12.0-15.4 %12.3
PLATELETS, AUTOMATED COUNT140-440 K/UL192
MPV6.8-10.4 FL10.9

ComponentStandard RangeYour Value
COLOR, URINEYELLOW
APPEARANCE, URINECLEAR
SPECIFIC GRAVITY, URINE1.005-1.0251.020
PH, UA5-86.5
LEUKOCYTE ESTERASE, UANEGNEGATIVE
NITRITE, UANEGNEGATIVE
PROTEIN, UANEGNEGATIVE
GLUCOSE, UANEGNEGATIVE
KETONES, UANEGNEGATIVE
UROBILINOGEN, UANORM MG/DLNORMAL
BILIRUBIN, UA, QLNEGNEGATIVE
RBC, URINENEGNEGATIVE

ComponentStandard RangeYour Value
AMYLASE<110 U/L54
All of these labs look good. There is no note of the date of the labs, but if they were done after developing the weight loss, that would exclude diabetes as a possible cause.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They were completed August 31st. Before the weight loss. I've checked with numerous doctors since then. They stated I don't need new labs done.

You don't need labs for the other symptoms that you are experiencing, but if you continue to lose weight despite an increase in fluid intake, then it would be appropriate to repeat the chemistry profile. Diabetes can sometimes be precipitated or exacerbated by an acute illness.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Gotcha. Diabetes does run in my biological families genes (as my bio mother has/had it) (she's still living mind you).

I just don't drink much fluids. I tend to be dry mouthed in the day. I've heard at my weight I should drink much more.

With all the symptoms ive mentioned, and the labs ive shown, is the weight loss as alarming now, just as, or not as much?

If you are dry mouthed, then that typically does indicate that you need to drink more fluids.

The labs do not affect the assessment of the weight loss because they pre-dated the weight loss. If a person is dehydrated and it is complicated by abnormal levels of electrolytes, that would be more worrisome, but the labs done before the weight loss cannot indicate whether any electrolyte abnormality develops with dehydration.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

But do you agree with the assesment that it's nothing cancerous? What do you attest it to?

There certainly is no evidence of any cancer. I would attribute it to the acute illness affecting the abdomen and now the chest.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good. I tend to worry a bit when things go even slightly wrong and over-analyze things. Then check. check. and check again - just to calm my nerves. I literally have been to the doctors nearly 20 times in the past 2 weeks - and I've come on this site for a second set of views. (You know to calm my nerves). Cool

You know what would be really cool though? To have this whole thing just get better. Cool

You can only take it one step at a time. At this point, it is appropriate to drink extra fluids and see if the problem improves.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I hear that. I tend to be impatient at times. Wink

However, I will tell you this. It really has gotten me to appreciate healthier eating. I used to eat healthy for breakfast and lunch then come home for dinner and eat things like fried chicken, pizza, etc... ruining my whole diet. Not the best decision.

Eating a healthy diet is always the better option, but not always followed by many people. In that sense, you are not alone, but it is good that you are improving your diet.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

My weight follows as such:

I went from 324 to 312 to 317 to 316, 314 to 313, 313, 313, 312, 309.

I usually eat 4/5 cups (the individual ones) of apple sauce a day. I have 1/2 yogurts, cereal (dry (cheerios)), and most times 2/3 turkey breast sandwhiches (individual size). My caloric intake used to be about 2800 or so. It's now closer to 1200/1300. Would that mean anything?

In another related incident, my stools today are green. They float too.

Not sure what the hell is going on, but it's getting a bit old. I have never had a solid, s-shaped (or even banana shaped) stool since 2 weeks ago. They've come out mushy, mucusy, flat-thin, and in many different colors. Brown, Light Brown, Green, sometimes pale yellow. I've had a cough for over a week, and starting to get bronchitis (which ive had before) again. Today there were small traces of blood in the phlegm. I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade G2 Grape. Not sure if that would affect stool color. I enjoy drinking that more than water.

A decrease in calories would cause some weight loss, but as noted above, calorie restriction would not account for this amount of weight loss without fluid loss.

There is no separate concern about green or yellow stool. Green or yellow stool are an indication of increased transit through the gut, but that is not surprising given the acute illness affecting the abdomen and causing the unformed stool.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Gotcha. You see, the docs told me with my weight originally (324) that a faster weight drop would be normal at first and then it would slow down. Which looks like what it is. They also told me because I vastly changed my diet from fat heavy, etc... to a very restrictive bland diet, that that can drop it. I have asked a few times for new blood work tests (just to make sure all is good (as you know - i tend to freak out)). And finally the doctor said he'd go ahead.

Now when I talked to the nurse today she mentioned there is some kind of box in the throat that causes coughing and what-not (something with post-nasal drip)... I just want to make sure all is good and rule out any god-forsaken bad thing, you know? That's why I had an X-Ray and a CT Scan done, and have a full colonoscopy on the horizon (November 8th). I want to make sure everything is a-ok. I know they have told me it is, but I just want to double check. That's why I requested blood work 2 weeks after I originally had it done. Going in tonight to get it done.

Would me feeling a bit sick affect it? I cough, and sometimes cough up phlegm (with very very minute bits of blood (or so it seems) in it.

If I'm reading you correctly, the green stool isn't as concerning? It's more of the body pushing it out faster?

Oh, and I forgot....does blood work show anything within the thyroid?

It is true that there is more rapid weight loss when first restricting calories, but the amount of weight loss that you have sustained would not be due to calorie restriction alone without loss of water weight. The dry mouth also is a sign that you are low in fluid.

Correct, the color is consistent with the unformed stool, both of which are due to the more rapid transit time.

Feeling sick will only affect the blood work if the illness is causing a metabolic change, but that is what the blood test would be looking for.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

But the weight loss isn't something connected to what I feared earlier correct? What could it be connected to? My numbers as you saw, looked good (according to you and other doctors).

This is why I go to numerous docs. I want to make sure all is well.

Apparently what's being tested is Amylase, Blood Sugar, CBC, Liver, and whatnot.

I have already answered this question above.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I know, I'm just curious regarding the thyroid.

You haven't asked any question about the thyroid.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had asked if blood work shows anything within the thyroid?

Only if thyroid blood tests are done.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

how do you do that? inject the needle in the neck?

No, it is a blood test.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I sent an email to my GI earlier, and he just sent back:

"Green stools by themselves do not necessarily imply a pathologic process. However, certainly it is a symptom to keep in mind in the context of your other symptoms of abdominal pains, rectal bleeding, and weight loss. In fact, I am particularly concerned about your unintentional weight loss. I will have my staff see if there is any way your colonoscopy could be moved up sooner. Sometimes, you yourself can also periodically check with my office to see if there any cancellations during the week, which may provide additional openings."

I'm freaking out seeing that. I hope it's not something awful - and I mean fatal...

You would need to ask hin what he meant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sounds good.

Just had blood work last night. I'll let you know the numbers when they come back - the doctor had said the numbers look good...the ALT was a little higher, but "doesn't concern him. As an emergency surgeon for 14 years, it's not a concern to me." The range goes to 50. Mine was at 72. (Up from 46 - 2 weeks ago). The Bilirubin (I think indirect) range goes from 0.2 - 1.3. Mine was 0.6. Up from 0.4 - 2 weeks ago. Again he said very normal. I did get a thryoid test done...the thyroid, hemoglobin tests won't apparently be back until monday, but my CBC and Chem7 test will be posted later today. I had fasted 9 hours before the test.

When I came home I had bad cramping/sting pain in the lower right abdomen. But after about 5 minutes it went away. (I'm wondering if that because I feel a bit sick (cough, slight runny nose, sore throat) has anything to do with it.

The doctor told me that losing the weight was not a bad thing as "15 pounds is not a bad loss at your weight - in that time frame - and most of it can be a result of your initial laxative intake."

But yeah...still going to double check with the GI as well. Also came on here to get your view. Because, as you know, I like to be well rounded in knowledge.

He told me the CT Scan test I had was an excellent test to have because "it shows a good detail inside the body on organs that X-Rays and MRI's can't"

What is your opinion on CT Scans?

These tests are not a concern. A CT scan is good for many disease processes, but no test is perfect for every disease process.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

By the way, out of curiosity, what could raise the ALT from 46 to 72? Is a higher ALT bad? Would it go down with excercise?

Could this be a result of candida (all the issues I've had)? I had laryngitis in december of last year, and there was candida on the top of my vocal chords (and there is a very very fine layer on my tongue now.

I do have athlete's foot.

The most common reason is a non-specific viral infection. The liver enzymes are very sensitive to minor illnesses. A true inflammation of the liver will elevate the ALT and AST into the hundreds to thousands. A mild elevation is defined as up to five times the upper limit of normal. Most of the time that a mild elevation is present with no significant findings on exam, simply rechecking the lab result after a period of time will yield a normal result.

If the ALT (or AST) were higher, that would be bad, but a mild elevation is frequently not an issue, particularly if there are no findings on exam. Exercise will typically have no effect on the ALT (or AST).

You are now asking questions that are more than seeking clarification of the answer to the original question. The intent of JustAnswer is that you can ask whatever number of questions are necessary to clarify the answer to the original question, but it is not the intent that you can ask whatever number of questions arise for an indefinite period of time. We usually do not mind brief questions, but if the number of questions are greater or there are single questions that are more involved, it becomes an issue. If you are asking additional questions on subsequent days, I would appreciate it if you would provide a positive rating, as positive ratings is the only way that I am paid for my time. Even if you have a subscription that allows multiple or an unlimited number of questions each month, I will only get paid for each positive rating. Otherwise, the rules of JustAnswer will require that you post each question. I am glad to continue discussing subsequent questions, but I would appreciate the positive rating. Thank you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I got my blood work in last night and the numbers came back this afternoon. I'm rather concerned. They seem higher than before, and some are a bit over. I fasted 9 hours before (except for drinking water). I have a dry cough, runny nose and am congested. Would that affect the numbers? Here are the numbers below...

Name
Standard range
4/9/09 8/29/13 9/13/13
BASOPHILS
0.0-0.1 X1000
0.02 0.00 0.10
BASOPHILS % 0.3 0.4 0.7
DIFFERENTIAL METHOD AUTOMATED DIFFERENTIAL AUTOMATED DIFFERENTIAL AUTOMATED DIFFERENTIAL
EOSINOPHILS
0.0-0.7 X1000
0.10 0.20 0.30
EOSINOPHILS % 1.6 2.2 2.8
LYMPHOCYTES
1.1-3.5 X1000
1.13 2.20 2.20
LYMPHOCYTES % 17.7 22.1 21.3
MONOCYTES
0.1-0.9 X1000
0.55 1.00 0.80
MONOS % 8.6 10.0 7.9
NEUTROPHILS
1.7-6.3 X1000
4.60 6.50 7.10
NEUTROPHILS % 71.8 65.3 67.3

Name
Standard range
4/9/09 8/29/13 9/13/13
HEMATOCRIT
40-51 %
45.1 43.7 47.8
HGB
12.9-17.2 G/DL
15.8 15.2 16.0
MCH
22-35 PG
30.1 29.4 29.0
MCHC
30-36 GM/DL
35.0 34.7 33.4
MCV
78-101 CMICRON
85.9 84.8 86.8
MPV
6.8-10.4 FL
10.9 11.8
PLATELETS, AUTOMATED COUNT
140-440 K/UL
186 192 162
RBC, AUTO
3.90-5.80 MIL
5.25 5.16 5.51
RDW, BLOOD
12.0-15.4 %
13.4 12.3 12.8
WBC'S AUTO
3.5-11.0 K/UL
6.4 9.9 10.5

From Calendar - Use to Select a Date to Calendar - Use to Select a Date - or - latest values
Options
Name
Standard range
4/9/09 4/9/09 8/29/13 9/1/13 9/13/13
ANION GAP SERPL
13-20 MEQ/L
17 21 19
BUN
7-24 MG/DL
17 18 12
CHLORIDE
97-111 MEQ/L
104 103 102
CO2
22-32 MEQ/L
29 24 27
CREATININE
0.7-1.5 MG/DL
0.9 0.9 0.9
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, AFRICAN AMERICAN
>60 mL/min/m
>60 >60 >60
GLOMERULAR FILTRATION RATE, NONAFRICAN AMERICAN
>60 mL/min/m
>60 >60 >60
GLUCOSE, RANDOM
70-139 MG/DL
72 90 87
POTASSIUM
3.5-5.5 MEQ/L
4.3 4.3 4.4
SODIUM
135-145 MEQ/L
145 144 144
TIME POST PRANDIAL, PATIENT 12 12 PATIENT NOT FASTING Not provided by clinical area PATIENT NOT FASTING

Component Standard Range Your Value
HGBA1C % 4.3-5.8 % 5.3

Options
Name
Standard range
8/29/13 9/13/13
ALBUMIN
4.0-5.4 G/DL
4.2 4.5
ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE
35-129 U/L
91 92
ALT
0-50 U/L
46 72
AST
9-53 U/L
27 39
BILIRUBIN, DIRECT
0.0-0.3 MG/DL
0.0 0.0
BILIRUBIN, TOTAL
0.2-1.3 MG/DL
0.4 0.6
TOTAL PROTEIN
6.3-8.3 G/DL
7.4 7.8

I'm concerned because they seem higher, and a certain website said if neutrophils are up that could be because of stress, infection, or...God forbid, the last word I prefer not say.

What say you?

I'm sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer.

Most of these labs are normal. The only mild abnormalities are the ALT that we previously discussed and the neutrophils. The neutrophils are a type of white blood cells that increase most often in response to infection, as well as a variety of other stimuli. Since the symptoms are most consistent with an infection the fact that the neutrophils are slightly elevated is not surprising.

The fact that any of the other labs have increased within the normal range is not worrisome.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

can you explain why i pull muscles or feel jabs of pain in my groin, back of heel, etc. ill just be standing around and i get this pain out of nowhere. i had bursitis the last few years. had no trouble before, but somehow it just pulled, or tore, out of nowhere. then ill have jabs of pain in the abdomen. i don't know whats wrong, but something seriously isn't right.

There are several possibilities to consider.

The most common would be a muscular strain. It also could be related to an overuse, although any overuse problem can also be related to the level of conditioning. Muscle cramping and pain also can be related to whether someone has adequate hydration. There also could be a primary inflammatory condition affecting the muscles (myositis). It also can occur as a side effect to certain drugs.

In someone having diffuse muscular pain, it also can affect the abdominal muscles, so can cause abdominal pains.

At home, it would be reasonable to manage this with conservative treatment, such as with an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine. It also would be appropriate to be drinking plenty of fluids to assure hydration. If the symptoms are more severe or persistent, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor for an evaluation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX any headache I've caused.

This is an article about an old friend, which caused me concern in the first place.

http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2013/05/17/sports/doc5195ae869b577826952113.txt

I'm hoping that whatever this is will go away soon. I was wondering...should I go in for an Ultrasound? I have a Colonoscopy coming and have had a XRAY, and CT-Scan.

Although muscular pain can be due to cancer, it is only very rare that cancer is found to be the cause of muscular pain. It is not recommended to look for cancer in all persons that present with muscular pain, but if the pain persists, it may become something to consider.

I would note that there is virtually no symptom that is never caused by cancer. If someone allows their fear of cancer to push their doctors into doing an evaluation for every symptom that you develop in your life, you will actually start causing cancer, because of the cumulative risk associated with multiple imaging studies. It is only worth looking for cancer when someone presents with symptoms that are commonly due to cancer or if uncommon symptoms are persistent for months.

You are again asking additional questions, so it would be appropriate to provide another rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Was it bad to get a ct scan 4 days after an xray?

Now ive got more worries....

A single CT scan is not a problem. It is the risk associated with multiple CT scans and other imaging studies performed over years that could be an issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ah gotcha. I appreciate it. I shall rate you good.

It really relaxes me now knowing that im good to go. =)

Very good. I'm glad that I could be of assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just wanted to ask a small question. If the doctors want to do an ultrasound on the abdomen in the near future, as well as my upcoming colonoscopy (currently scheduled in november), will that be alright.

X-Ray - August 29

CT-Scan - September 1

Ultrasound - ?

Colonoscopy - November 8th

Again, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX shall be rated good. (You've given me some good advice - and helped calm my frequent nerves - lol) =D

An ultrasound does not involve radiation, so is not an issue. An ultrasound is also limited in what it can assess, which is why a CT scan is frequently done. An ultrasound may show subtle findings that will prompt a CT scan, so they are sometimes linked, but if an ultrasound is indicated, there is no reason for concern, and a CT scan has already been done for comparison.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Tonight I went to the doc for bad back pain. Felt a bit tingy during activities. The same doc who scheduled the xray and ct scan ordered an xray of the back. I stopped them after 2 of the 5 pics. Would this be a cause of concern to my overall health? Would it trigger anything if my ct scan was 2 weeks ago?

The amount of radiation in plain x-rays is typically smaller than in CT scans. Te concern over cumulative radiation exposure should cause someone to only get x-rays when they are truly needed, but should not prevent someone from getting x-rays when they are needed. If the doctor cannot make a proper diagnosis of your back pain (or any other complaint) without performing an x-ray, then it is generally better to get the x-ray, regardless of what other recent x-rays have been done. But neither should you pressure the doctor into performing an imaging study if it is felt by the doctor that it is not indicated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She said she wanted to determine if it was a spinal or muscle issue. She pressed on my back in places before ordering it, but couldnt determine what it was. She thought it could be muscular but didnt know. Once finished she found it was the muscles. Or as she mentioned... the reason I stopped the numerous pictures is because of the fear of radiation and the fact that the doctor said when I got my abdomen xray weeks ago the back was on it.

What are your all overall thoughts

A CT scan of an abdomen that was done 2 weeks before onset of symptoms will not usually determine the cause of the current back pain. It might incidentally detect spinal problems, but they are focusing on the abdomen, not the spine, so it could also easily miss a variety of spine problems.

The system does not show that you provided another positive rating yesterday. If you are not willing to provide a positive rating with each new set of questions, then it will be necessary for you to post each question separately.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm having upper back pain - more specifically right under the ribs (both sides). I'm having this odd cooling sensation (feels like liquid or something), that moves in my abdomen for a few seconds, then goes away.

What could that be? Would you suggest an MRI if need be? In the span of a month, it would be a XRAY (Aug 21), CT Scan (Sept 1), XRAY (Back) Sept 17, and possibly an MRI within Sept.

I'm down to 303 after starting 324 23 days ago. Docs tell me because of my weight, gender, and diet, that that is bound to happen.

I used to have back pain more at night. It seems more sore all day now.

What could those be?

This is most likely from a musculoskeletal strain of the back. The upper extent of the muscles of the back insert into the lower rib cage, so the pain can extend to the lower ribs. There is always a possibility of an underlying spinal problem, but a strain is more common.

The odd sensation in your abdomen is probably nothing serious and may jut be felt from material flowing through your gut.

The first step would be to have an examination. An MRI is usually not recommended unless there are worrisome findings on examination. If worrisome findings are present on exam then an MRI would be indicated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Could any of all these symptoms indicate hepatitis, candida, or any such disease? I seem to have random bruises pop up as well. Not sure from what, but they do. I have this bruise on the back of my left leg (on the calf), that looks like it traces a vein in 2 directions (but it's a brown line).

I did want to follow up with a few more pieces of info (in case it helps)...

I had laryngitis diagnosed last year where they found candida on the top of my vocal chords. Sometimes, when yelling, it twinges my throat and hurts. I can no longer yell as loud.

I have onset osteoarthritis in my knees.

My PCP called me back today and mentioned that my ALT went down. It was 46 (out of 50) 3 weeks ago. Was 72 last Friday, and was 64 recently. He mentioned it's heading in the right direction.

I have a slight pain in my left back under the rib cage - barely noticeable, but there.

I have a irritation in my throat and it seems like it hurts a bit when I cough.

Also when I "do the deed" it is a slight burning sensation coming out.

Thoughts?

None of these symptoms would make the back pain more worrisome. The pain in the rib cage could be associated with the musculoskeletal back pain, but it would not change the significance or approach to the back pain.

Hepatitis can cause back pain or bruising, but the blood test would indicate that it is not a problem.

An irritation in the throat could be a recurrence of the Candida in the throat, although this is uncommon. It also would not contribute to the other symptoms that you are having.

The burning with ejaculation would be unrelated, but it would be appropraite to be seen if the problem persists to rule out any infection.

Please remember to provide another positive rating for each new set of questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So as I looked at the screen when at the doc's office yesterday when he brought up the ct scan results and it stated on there that it found some diverticulosis on the left side of the colon (where I have most pain), and it saw some type of thing with the left kidney (a narrowing at the top) (but forgot the word) - but both said it was "unclear on major issues at this time" (or something like that).

I awoke this morning having to use the restroom and saw the stool as being pale with white spots on them. That really caused feat (as white is not normal - if im not mistaken), so I ran to the doc again. This time, she had mentioned that the stool was completely normal and that stools will change color consistently. But white spots though? Really?

Will diverticulosis ever go away? Will the kidney ever resume it's normal abilities? Will I ever be able to do normal things again?

Diverticulosis is not a concern. Almost everyone will develop diverticulosis, and it does not cause problems in the majority of people. It only is an issue in the small percentage of people in whom the diverticula become inflamed/infected (diverticulitis). In those people in whom diverticulosis develops, it typically does not go away.

It is unclear from your description what was the finding in the kidney. If it was the anatomic appearance of the collecting system of the kidney on that side, but there is no evidence of poor flow, it typically will not improve yet is also not a problem.

White stool is a potential issue, but stool with white spots is not a problem. White spots is usually due to a component of the diet.

Please remember to provide another positive rating for each new set of questions. If you are not willing to provide another positive rating for each new set of questions, then I will need you to start posting each new set of questions separately.