Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice

I was on Endep for a couple of years for migraine prevention

I was on Endep for a couple of years for migraine prevention but stopped before I went overseas for 3 months because of weight gain. Since coming back my blood pressure has climbed to 183/115 and I was put on Coversyl yesterday. I did well on Endep and wonder if I could just take Endep again or maybe the two together at reduced dosage for each. Can you advise?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes you could go back on Endep( amitrityline) but other choices for your migraine would probably be preferred...
Anthony Bray, MD : Inderal (. Propranolol) is a beta blocker and is used for migraine prevention. As a beta blocker it also helps to reduce blood pressure.
Customer: Can I forget Coversyl and just go back on Endep? Would it bring down blood pressure.
Anthony Bray, MD : This medicine does not usually stimulate appetite as Endep...no... Endep does not lower blood pressure...
Anthony Bray, MD : Endep is an antidepressant type medicine.. It also helps with migraine prevention ...
Anthony Bray, MD : Topamax is another good choice with migraine prevention....
Customer: I was not put on Inderal because of allergies and because I use Seratide occosaionally.
Anthony Bray, MD : Ok to clarify are you currently taking your BP medicine or not at this time?
Anthony Bray, MD : Goal for good blood pressure control is to keep average dreading down to 135/95 or better...
Customer: yes, I was just put on Coversyl yesterday that is why I'm asking
Anthony Bray, MD : It is helpful to check your blood pressure readings at home ( seated after 5 to 10 min rest) keep a journal of measures several per week is good. Let your doctor review these. It is the AVERAGE of many readings that is important ... The fluctuations do not matter as much as the average ....
Anthony Bray, MD : Well I would advise that you continue the Coversyl ... Track those BP readings and follow up with your doctor ...
Anthony Bray, MD : you may ask about Topamax to see how this does for migraine prevention too. I have had good success with patients in this one...
Customer: BP has been high for a couple of weeks consistenly, that is why i was put on medication. so should I keep taking Coversyl? It has given me a sever migraine. Or should I try Inderel anyway?
Anthony Bray, MD : Watch your diet and stick to low salt/ sodium and this will help to improve your blood pressure as well...
Customer: you have to really answered my previous question
Anthony Bray, MD : Well if the timing suggests that you have had migraines in response to the Coversyl then I would favor stopping this medication and trying a beta blocker but discuss with your doctor!'!
Customer: thanks
Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome! Have we covered your questions now ?? If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you...
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice