Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

About two weeks ago I began getting sharp pains in my arms

About two weeks ago I began getting sharp pains in my arms and legs. The pain would always occur in different locations at different times…..I would have the pain in my mid-thigh one day and my top of my forearm the next. I would have it in my inner thigh another day and my calf on another day. I would also get it in my collar bone area and in the ankle. The pain was pin pointed and ranged from sharp and stabbing to burning. I was also experiencing joint pain. One knuckle one day my wrist or ankle the next day. On one day it seemed like the vein in my ankle was pushing blood through it a million miles a minute.

My eyes were also watering a lot. This primarily happened in the morning and at the end of the day. My left eye was primarily effected. This has now stopped.

I was taking the exercise supplement C4 Extreme and had been taking it for about 6 weeks. I was taking three scoops as the effect of a single scoop had stopped working. I stopped taking the supplement and increased my water intake and started taking B12, Vitamin E and vitamin D. The pains for the most part are gone. I still get a pain in the back of my left calf.

Now I am feeling pressure behind my eyes and have some nasal drainage in the mornings. Most of the day I do not have any drainage.

I also am getting headaches.

My shoulders and neck are sore but I am not sure if this is being caused by the body armor and backpack that I carry in the morning and afternoon to get to work. I do feel the stiffness and soreness in the morning when I awake.

I have High Blood pressure. I feel that my bp spikes in the mid-morning and late afternoon. Before this I had no issues with my BP as long as I took my meds.

I have been super thirsty. Drinking more water makes me feel better.

I am getting about 8 and a half hours of sleep per night.

I take the following medications.

• Lansoprazoled D 30mg twice a day
• Aciphex 20 MG once a day (if the Lansoprazoled D is not working)
• Metoprolol 25 MG ER once a day

I smoke about one cigar a day.
I do not drink alcohol
I drink about 16 to 36 oz of coffee per day. Half in the morning and then half in the afternoon.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Did you have any kind of tests done for this problem?

Are you over weight?

Constipation?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No tests

Yes I am 72 inches and weigh 250lbs

Ever screened for a thyroid disorder?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no

Thank you very much for the useful information Gary.

There are certain important problems that can be responsible for the symptoms you have.

First, this can be vitamin D deficiency, although you have been taking vitamin d supplements but until you get your vitamin d levels checked, one can not be sure whether you were taking enough vitamin d to replace the deficient body stores or not.

In certain kind of vitamin d deficiency states, an activated form of vitamin d has to be taken to work effectively. Yes, its deficiency can cause the generalized aches and pains you had, and for this we need to screen you.

Then i could be a hidden malignancy (cancer) which if gets spread can lead to wide spread body aches and pains, so some initial screening blood tests, chest x-ray and abdominal ultrasound will help rule out this possibility.

Raised calcium levels (either due to a metastatic cancer, or due to other endocrine pathologies) can also give you similar wide spread pains, and typically increase your thirst.

Finally, it can be from fibromyalgia, a functional disorder where one can feel these tender and painful points in the body along with fatigue. This is a diagnosis of exclusion which simply means that all other potential causes for these symptoms need to be ruled out first before attributing these to fibromyalgia.

And i must not forget to mention that you should also get screened for thyroid disorder (TSH levels); as this can also present clinically in a similar way especially if you are over weight, fatigued, and feel depressed.

So you should see an internist soon, and discuss all the details i have mentioned to get further management plan chalked out at earliest.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I forgot to mention that I am also taking Doxyciline. How whould this impact the possiblitites?

In additon I had pain in my groin and left epidermise in my scrotum. Not sure if related but that pain is also gone

Thank you Gary for the follow up question.

No, doxycycline would not cause all these symptoms.

Pain in the groin is just like the pain elsewhere in the body; may be related or may not be.

One thing is clear here, you certainly need to have this investigated as soon as possible.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities