Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had a colonoscopy last week the doctor found a flat colon

I had a colonoscopy last week the doctor found a flat colon lesion that he said he believes to be a pre cancer. They still did a biopsy and I see him Friday this week. He did mention I will require surgery to remove it . He is a surgeon not a gastroenterlogist, I have read up on endoscopic mucusal resection do you think I am a good candidate? I am female 54 years old never smoked in general good health.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

If the biopsy result indicates that the lesion is a pre-cancer, then there is a good chance that you would be a candidate for endoscopic mucosal resection. However, the appearance on colonoscopy also would define whether it could be done via this procedure. For example, the size of the lesion is an important factor when considering whether endoscopic mucosal resection can be done; commonly, it will only be attempted on lesions smaller than 2 cm.

Even if the biopsy indicates an early cancer, it may still be able to be removed using endoscopic mucosal resection if there is no evidence of significant invasion.

You can ask the surgeon that did the colonoscopy whether there was any finding on colonoscopy that precludes performing the endoscopic mucosal resection, but it also may require consultation with a Gastroenterologist.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I live in Canada is this proceedure done often? If I have it removed surgically is it day surgery or am I in the hospital for awhile? Are these lesions common? When I woke up after my colonoscopy he told me right away..I do not have cancer but I have a pre cancerous lesion. Would he have seen it was already cancer by observing through colonoscopy if it already was ? I just am hoping he is right telling me it is a pre cancer right after colonoscopy without biopsy results. I figure he must recognize when he is in there if it is already a cancer. Is that right information? thank you

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer.

The endoscopic mucosal resection is not done very often, but that is largely because the appropriate lesion is not encountered very often. The procedure is typically done as an out-patient procedure, so that you would go home the same day.

The impression based upon the appearance to the naked eye is usually correct, but it is not a perfect assessment, or we would never have to perform biopsies. Therefore, if it looks to not yet be a cancer, it will usually be confirmed by the biopsy, but you cannot be certain until the biopsy returns.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor