Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have received almost ten different diagnosis over the past

I have received almost ten different diagnosis' over the past two years from a psychiatrist who was unexperienced with my type of mental disorder. I was hospitalized two years ago for auditory and visual hallucinations, delusions, mania, insomnia, anxiety etc. and labeled "gravely disabled". I was originally diagnosed by the hospital upon release with "Psychosis NOS" or "Unspecified Psychosis" which is unsatisfactory considering it never evolved into a stable diagnosis. we decided we wouldn't be going back to her again because she is unable to medicate me appropriately or listen to our concerns and explanations. I'm 19 years old female. I was wondering if anyone would have an opinion on what my medication should be. I'm on 200 mg Seroquel, and 1mg Lorazepam (which is the medication I have issues with) and we explained to her that I was hallucinating again, more frequently (nothing provoking violence) and that my anxiety worsened. She lowered my lorazepam and that's all she did.
Hello from JA
What is exactly your question about your medication?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have your post but nothing on it
Please re type your reply
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My question is what would change or advise regarding my medication.
The lorazepam leaves a bad taste in my mouth and doesn't really seem to do anything for my anxiety.
And since I am still hallucinating day and night and having mania problems, would anything need to be added or changed regarding the Seroquel?

Without a proper diagnosis you can not know which medicine is correct.

You need another psychiatrist.

Here is what I can tell you Carley. [And remember we do not diagnose on this site, we do not treat, and we do not take the place of your doctor.].

Your mediation clearly is not working.
Some of what you describe is bi polar disorder, not unspecified psychosis.

If this is the case, it is a common error.

While seroquel might be used, it is certainly not a prime drug by itself.

And I see no real indication for long term lorazapam, and think it should be tapered off.

You might be better or on a combination of meds to treat bipolar, or lithium. Bi polar can also have hallucinations in the manic phase.

In many cases lithium is more effective if this is the case.

If it is schizophrenia, there are many choices besides seroquel, and again lorazapam has no real long term indication.

My advice is to either tell your doctor these concerns repeatedly, but if that is not going to work, get a new psychiatrist, and keep at it until you get medications that get rid of these symptoms.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answers, I have one last question.
What would you suggest for long term instead of Lorazepam?

The correct mood stabilizing drug/drugs or lithium, or both.
It once again depends.
But drugs like lorazapam for anxiety should never be a long term choice.

Let me give you just one example.
If this is bipolar, once the manic phase is controlled, an SSRI medication can be used if there is chronic anxiety or depression.
Please don’t forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the main medications I have been on were Buspar, Cymbalta, and lithium. In the past when our doctor was jumping between diagnosis. It's just frustrating that over two years of seeing her she couldn't figure it out. Among the many, generalized anxiety was the diagnosis for the anxiety portion. I know that SSRI are normally used for depression. Would that still be effective for anxiety? Cymbalta was used in that way and it was absolutely terrible for me. The main issue is that I'm not depressed which is why the Bipolar diagnosis didn't stick. Sorry for all the questions, I will definitely rate positively.

No an SSRI is used for depression, generalized anxiety and panic disorder, among other things.

You don't have to be depressed to have bipolar.

So, I think the doctor has been jumping the gun, back and forth.
Find another. Or see the current doctor more often...if you have any confidence left in that doc.

Please don’t forget a positive rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!

Any time
Any questions.
Find me by request as needed.
Simply use "dr thomas only" in the title of the question.