Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I was in the middle of a 5-hour car ride yesterday. About

I was in the middle of a 5-hour car ride yesterday. About 2-3 hours into the drive I noticed that my lower right leg was feeling slightly asleep/tingly/numb. I stopped and walked around every 1-2 hours after that but was in the car for a total of 10-11 hours yesterday. The feeling has still not gone away. I am 50 years old and in good health. I was wondering if this was serious enough to go to the emergency room. I have no pain, redness or swelling. thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question Dolores.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

This appears most likely to be related to a nerve compression due to prolonged sitting in the car and the posture.

No, this is not some thing like a blood clot in the leg for which you need to go to ER right now.

However, if the symptoms do not improve, persist, or get worse, then off course you need to see your doctor for a comprehensive clinical examination to get further management plan chalked out such as this may require MRI of the spine, or Nerve conduction studies to get diagnosed with certainty which will direct further specific treatment.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you. is there anything i can do to help improve the situation?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Have rest.

Maintain adequate hydration.

Can use over the counter multivitamin (especially B-12) containing supplements.

Avoid bending, lifting heavy weights.

And if it does not improve in next 48 hours, have it examined soon.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dolores.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.