Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

What are these symptoms related to a 83 year old woman -smoker-

What are these symptoms related to a 83 year old woman -smoker- who is normally like a energizer person

Takes multiple small "culps" of air instead of deep breaths and seems to be somewhat labored

she now seems to rest and prop herself up on counters (with her elbows or hands) or other objects where six months ago she would have just stood up

her gate is more of a shuffle now than a step

her skin looks parched/dehydrated when you pinch the skin on the back of her hand it takes several seconds to smooth out

Hello and thank you for the question Joe.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

These are serious symptoms and warrant an urgent evaluation preferably at ER if possible.

This can be due to;

COPD

Pulmonary embolism (clot in lungs)

Pulmonary hypertension

Fluid build up around the lungs

Infection in the lungs

Cardiac failure

Abnormal circulation to the heart

Fluid build up around heart

She need a physical examination, chest x-ray, ekg and if deemed necessary other tests like pulmonary angiogram, echo for heart, and CT of the chest.

The skin appearance can be age related or can be due to chronic dehydration.

Right now she should have this evaluated to get further management plan chalked out appropriately in order to avoid any serious complication.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Hello Joe.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.