Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities

About 5 weeks ago, I developed Left Posterior Shoulder pain

About 5 weeks ago, I developed Left Posterior Shoulder pain at what seemed to be right in the joint. I wasn't able to lay on either side, only my back with out a shooting pain happening. I would awake and feel pretty good, but would get worse and worse thru out the day. I finally couldn't take the pain so I went to the Doctor. He gave me a Cortizone shot in the joint and prescribed Meloxicam and Voltaren. He told me if it wasnt better in a week that we would need to do an MRI. Well the pain has gotten better, although it still aches, however now the pain seems to move. Sometimes in my shoulder, other times in my elbow and just above. I also am getting episodes of Numbness down my left arm. Sometimes my whole arm and hands, other times just my upper arm. The numbness happens several times per day up to maybe 20 times, but only last about 30 to 45 seconds. I have major medical, so I really want to avoid the $1000 MRI. I have considered a Chiropractor, but they have always scared me. Any idea what this could be. Might it just go away in time. Times are too tough right now to throw money away.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

The kind of radiating pain you have described (associated with numbness) is most likely a result of a "Pinched Nerve", a condition in which there is abnormal excessive pressure over the nerve anywhere its course. It could be in the spine (due to disc prolapse, cervical spondylosis, vertebral degeneration) or at the shoulder joint.

In this situation, i would recommend MRI of the spine and shoulder to exactly determine the underlying cause, which will clearly define further management plan in specific terms.

If not done now, i fear that your pain might get worse, and an appropriate intervention may be delayed (which eventually would be required along with MRI if the pain does not improve now).

So better have it done now than later.

Goodluck :)

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Had a feeling that would be your answer. I will see the Doc again ASAP

Thank you and get well soon :)