Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Dear Doctor. Spring 2010 I went on a backpacking trip to

Dear Doctor.

Spring 2010 I went on a backpacking trip to 9 different countries (South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore).

I travelled for three months, and I had a weightgain on 10kg in that short time of period. I ate alot of course.

When I came back home to Norway, I had produced an intolerance against milk and egg-whites.

I also have really hard time diguesting food containing fat (as in high fat products: fat fish, chocolate, meat ect)

But the funny thing is that small amounts of low fat products are fine, like low fat milk.

My diguestion is also very slow. I need to eat small amount of food. If I eat a bit too much, I get constipated or don't need foor for many hours.

I put on weight very easily. If I eat too much one day, I can see the weight gain instant the day after. It's like my body saves the access fat/energy instant, and I can feel my body expending because it hurts.

Every time I eat something with high fat percentage, it comes right up again in return. IT WILL NOT DIGUEST.

The only thing I feel my body can diguest is vegetables and fruits to be honest.

I have lost so much passion for food. I have been to a gastro specialist to check my stomach, but they say it looks fine.

I wonder if I got a parasitt or an virus infection when I was on that trip? Because I was perfecty fine before it. Or is it something wrong with my liver? or my gall bladder?

What's wrong with my diguestion and why do I put on weight so quickly?

I have so many questions, and no specialists here in Norway have helped me find out of my problems.

I really hope you can.

Thank you so much.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX 23 years. Norway.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

you need to have your thyroid hormone levels checked. if your thyroid is not functioning properly, this can cause weight gain.

also you need to have your pancreas enzyme levesl checked. if your pancreas is inflamed or not function properly, it can make it hard to digest fats.

you should also have a test to look for gastroparesis or laziness of the stomach.

have you had blood testing to check your thyroid hormones and your pancreas function?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have already checked my thyroid hormone levels, and they say the values are normal.

I feel there is something wrong in the upper abdominal. Either liver, gall bladder, pancreas or just how the stomach is processing food.

yes, I agree.

gastroparesis is laziness of the stomach to empty its contents. this can be checked for by a fluoroscopy contrast procedure by a radiologist who has you drink contrast and then times how long it takes for the stomach to empty its contents.

blood testing can check pancreatic enzyme levels.

also an ultrasound of your upper abdomen can check on your gall bladder to see if that is looking normal. a HIDA scan can check to see if the gall bladder is ejecting bile normally as well.

all of these test could help you get more information about what might be wrong.

does this information help?

do you have other questions?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I need more information about what that could be wrong. Not what kind of test I need to take. What is wrong with my body? why can I not diguest fat?

you need these tests to find out if you have problems with your pancreas or stomach or gall bladder.

we can't find out what is wrong with your body without running tests

the pancreas enzymes and bile are key to you being able to digest fats.

these tests have to be done to get more information so you and your doctors can find out what is wrong.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have already had a ultrasound scan, they say my organs looks fine (pancreas, stomach ect)

I have also had that test where I drank a soup, and then they saw through scan how my stomach processed the food. It went a bit slow, but not too slow.

But how slow it goes, depends on what I'm eating. If I eat fruits and veggies, it goes much more quickly. Where as in high fat foods and meat takes a long time.

As you mention, I probably need to check my pancreas and gall bladder.

Do you have a clue of what it could be?

you could have gall bladder dysfunction. a HIDA scan would tell if your gall bladder is function properly. ultrasound does not tell about gall bladder function.

if your gall bladder is not putting out enough bile in your small bowel, this can affect fat digestion.

make sure your TSH levels are between 0.3 and 3.0. TSH levels higher than 3.0 can mean you are hypothyroid.

make sure you get blood testing to check for amylase and lipase enzymes and that they are normal. high levels could mean pancreatitis and your pancreas is inflamed.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do you think I might have a parasitt? or a stomach viral infection? would it have survived for so many years? it has been over three years since that backpacking trip now.

is it possible to see through gastrocopia or do you need to take test for that too?

I'm a medical student as well, it's just that I can not figure out what this can be, and it's causing me a lot of trouble mentally and fysically.

Thank you so much for taking your time.

parasite would be unlikely. usually these cause diarrhea.

you can always get a stool ovum and parasite test to look. I doubt you have GI parasites.

you need stool testing to check for parasites in your GI system.

you could be having an irritable bowel type syndrome as well, IBS.

have you tried to increase your yogurt and probiotics in your diet? that might help.