Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

Hello, Ive been experiencing burping for the past 3 weeks

Hello, I've been experiencing burping for the past 3 weeks or so throughout the day. Worse during meals and just after. I feel bloated and full after eating. I have an appetite but can't eat as much.

I had a gastroscopy in 2010 negative for bacteria but was treated with antibiotics and nexium. Findings were mild gastritis and bit of reflux. Symptoms went away until the last 3 weeks.

In the last 3 weeks I started taking antibiotics for wisdom tooth extraction as well which gave me bad diarrhoea which is just clearing up. I went to the GP about my digestive issues, he thinks it's gastritis and reflux with IBS (he listened to my stomach and said I have a lot of gas). I was prescribed nexium 40mg for 7 days and then Omeprazole 20mg for 7 days. I just finished nexium today but I still feel the some reflux and I am still burping. My stomach pressure builds up and I just have to burp though it is not acidic. I feel bloated for about 1/2 hour after eating but stomach size doesn't seem any different just uncomfortable and really full and the burping. I am not sure why I'm not getting any better.

My questions:

1) Do I continue on with the Omeprazole 20 mg for 7 days now or should I be getting higher doses with nexium even if it doesn't seem to be helping.
2) I am worried because I read that digestive symptoms can be linked to ovarian cancer. I am 35 f, PCOS tendancy - no insulin resistance just polycystic ovaries and irregular periods, normal if a little under weight generally. Last pelvic ultrasound early 2011 showing usual polycystic ovaries.
3) Can this be gastritis and if so why isn't the treatment working? Do I need another gastroscopy or should I continue to wait and see.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

1. You should continue with the Omeprazole same dose and complete the course. You can expect it to kick in soon and get rid of this bloating and burping.

2. No need to associate this present gastric problems with ovarian cancer, gastritis is very common and the link with ovarian cancer is very tenuous.

3. Yes, its gastritis most likely. It will work but you need to give more time to the treatments.

Some things to do and discuss with your doctor:

Ask your doctor about Domperidone. It can be added with Omeprazole and help with the burping.

Also you need to watch your diet. Have foods which are good for gastritis.

Here is a list of foods which cause gastritis and you need to minimize:

Orange juice
Lemon
Lemonade
Grapefruit juice
Cranberry juice
Tomato
French fries
Onion, raw
Ground beef, chuck
Marbled sirloin
Chicken nuggets
Buffalo wings
Sour cream
Milk shake
Ice cream
Cottage cheese, regular
Macaroni and cheese
Spaghetti with sauce
Liquor
Wine
Coffee, decaffeinated or regular
Tea, decaffeinated or regular
Salad dressing, creamy
Salad dressing, oil & vinegar
Butter cookie, high-fat
Brownie
Chocolate
Doughnut
Corn chips
Potato chips, regular

(source: http://heartburn.about.com/cs/dietfood/a/heartburnfoods3.htm)

Take these steps, you will get relief soon.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your advice.

My question:

1) How can we be sure it is gastritis ... can it just come back like this? I do not drink coffee / alcohol and I was negative for bacteria in 2010. I do have stress.

2) How can it last this long and why will nexium not help the symptoms at all.

3) If nexium 40 mg doesn't work how will continuing on my Omeprazole at 20mg which is what I have be of any use. How long should I expect to get better

4) I do have some Domperidone but it doesn't seem to help with the burping so i stopped it. When I burp sometimes it's deep burping like when I'm eating, or after eating it feels like higher up, and smaller, sometimes a bit of food comes back up but not always. I'm not sure why it would suddenly happen out of the blue and Im worried still especially since the medication didn't help.

Well, this is acid peptic dyspepsia, which has different forms like acid reflux, gastritis, gastric ulcer, etc. To be sure that it is gastritis, you will need a gastroscopy. Hence you can discuss this with your doctor. But we can make an informed guess that is gastritis from the symptoms and the fact that you had been diagnosed with this earlier. Its time now to see your doctor and go for another endoscopy if he agrees.

It can last for a long time. Proper food is most essential for this. Next is medicines.

Nexium and Omeprazole are similar, they may need to be taken for months depending on other factors like how well you are regulating your diet. Go through the list I gave and control your diet accordingly.

Burping is not a cause of worry, it can signify acid reflux or gastritis but often is nothing more than a habit.

See your doctor now for this. Ask for another gastroscopy. Meanwhile control your diet as I have advised and continue on Omeprazole till you see your doctor.

Take care.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks doctor, I really do not want to go through another gastroscopy if possible. My final two questions

1) You did not answer if I should continue with the lower dose Omeprazole 20MG as I have finished my 7 days Nexium 40MG. Will this help if the 40MG has not helped.

2) This is not habitual burping, I know this as I do not habitually burp like this. It came along with the indigestion type symptoms.

3) Can it be gastritis if I generally do not experience pain like most gastritis patients do, just the fullness, burping and slight reflux feeling. I just would like to be a little clearer.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You have Re-listed the question; thats how i stepped in.

I have read your queries in detail.

At this point you should continue with 40mg daily omeprazole since your problem has not improved. Some times even higher doses (40mg twice daily) have to be given to control reflux and such symptoms.

In addition to the foods pointed out by the other expert, and domeperidone (has to be taken at least half hour before meals and if doesn't help its dose can be increased); you should also try Simethicone containing ant-acids --- which will greatly reduce the gas production and burping.

This seems to be gastritis, most likely due to combination of increased acid secretion from stomach, reflux as well as the drugs (antibiotics you took) and this may take few weeks to settle down.

And if after two weeks you do not feel any improvement in your symptoms, you would require an endoscopy; as well as tests for H.pylori (once again).

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Doctor.

I only have a script for 20MG Omeprazole for the next seven days not 40MG. Is that ok? I don't feel any burning so I'm not sure it can be acid. I guess I am worried about gynaelogical / ovarian causes that I read about but the previous doctor said I don't need to worry about this. Any comments on this?

A few weeks seems like a long time but I suppose I only have been on medication for 1 week but feeling symptoms for 3 weeks continuously. Please tell me if 20MG Omeprazole is ok as this is all i have?

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

I dont think reducing to 20mg at this stage will help. You should better continue with the full dose for 2 weeks.

No, honestly this does not appear to be related to ovarian cancer at all.

You can get omeprazole over the counter from your local pharmacy (usually its 20mg strength is available as over the counter preparation).

Stay relaxed and get well soon :)

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities