Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!
Thank you for your advice.
1) How can we be sure it is gastritis ... can it just come back like this? I do not drink coffee / alcohol and I was negative for bacteria in 2010. I do have stress.
2) How can it last this long and why will nexium not help the symptoms at all.
3) If nexium 40 mg doesn't work how will continuing on my Omeprazole at 20mg which is what I have be of any use. How long should I expect to get better
4) I do have some Domperidone but it doesn't seem to help with the burping so i stopped it. When I burp sometimes it's deep burping like when I'm eating, or after eating it feels like higher up, and smaller, sometimes a bit of food comes back up but not always. I'm not sure why it would suddenly happen out of the blue and Im worried still especially since the medication didn't help.
Thanks doctor, I really do not want to go through another gastroscopy if possible. My final two questions
1) You did not answer if I should continue with the lower dose Omeprazole 20MG as I have finished my 7 days Nexium 40MG. Will this help if the 40MG has not helped.
2) This is not habitual burping, I know this as I do not habitually burp like this. It came along with the indigestion type symptoms.
3) Can it be gastritis if I generally do not experience pain like most gastritis patients do, just the fullness, burping and slight reflux feeling. I just would like to be a little clearer.
Thank you for your patience.
Hello and thank you for the question.Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.
You have Re-listed the question; thats how i stepped in.
I have read your queries in detail.
At this point you should continue with 40mg daily omeprazole since your problem has not improved. Some times even higher doses (40mg twice daily) have to be given to control reflux and such symptoms.
In addition to the foods pointed out by the other expert, and domeperidone (has to be taken at least half hour before meals and if doesn't help its dose can be increased); you should also try Simethicone containing ant-acids --- which will greatly reduce the gas production and burping.
This seems to be gastritis, most likely due to combination of increased acid secretion from stomach, reflux as well as the drugs (antibiotics you took) and this may take few weeks to settle down.
And if after two weeks you do not feel any improvement in your symptoms, you would require an endoscopy; as well as tests for H.pylori (once again).
My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
I only have a script for 20MG Omeprazole for the next seven days not 40MG. Is that ok? I don't feel any burning so I'm not sure it can be acid. I guess I am worried about gynaelogical / ovarian causes that I read about but the previous doctor said I don't need to worry about this. Any comments on this?
A few weeks seems like a long time but I suppose I only have been on medication for 1 week but feeling symptoms for 3 weeks continuously. Please tell me if 20MG Omeprazole is ok as this is all i have?
I dont think reducing to 20mg at this stage will help. You should better continue with the full dose for 2 weeks.
No, honestly this does not appear to be related to ovarian cancer at all.
You can get omeprazole over the counter from your local pharmacy (usually its 20mg strength is available as over the counter preparation).
Stay relaxed and get well soon :)