Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

Dear Medical expert I am a forty-year old woman. I have

Dear Medical expert

I am a forty-year old woman. I have noticed that when I drink wine, I develop a thirst and a hunger, even if I have just had a big meal. After a meal, I also often crave something sweet. I am often quite thirsty, even if I have not had any wine or anything sweet. I am overweight, but not obese. I eat quite healthily, but only exercise irregularly. I often have itchy little sores in my skin. I have a lot of responsibilities in my job and often work long hours. There is problems with diabetes in my family, but my tests show normal results. I'm wondering still whether my problems might not be symptomatic of a condition related to insulin or diabetic problems.

Dr. Rick, MD :

What you describe does not sound like a issue that would be associated with diabetes or a problem with insulin, especially given your normal test results.

Dr. Rick, MD :

I would try resisting these urges next time, perhaps allowing yourself only 8 to 12 ounces of ice water. I think you can overcome this urge with will power alone.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Rick,

Thank you for the prompt answer. What I don't understand is

where these urges come from though. Is it simply a matter of habit?

I believe that it is just a matter of habit, yes, rather than a sign of a medical condition.

I hope you have a very good week :)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.