Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

From time to time I get these twinkly lights zigzzaging on

From time to time I get these twinkly lights zigzzaging on the left side. I had an episode this morning. The first episode I had was when I was twenty seven, I am now seventy five. I have found that if I take two Goody powders as soon as I can when this aura occurs, the aura soon disappears. I don't get a headache, in fact a headache is something I very rarely get. I very rarely take Goody's, just keep them on hand, usually they become outdated. I take vitamin B-6, vit E, once daily and Selenium, Omega 3 and Vit- C twice daily. I seem to be in excellent health, I take only one medication daily, 20 mg Lisonopril. I am quite active and generally I feel great. I wish I knew why and if this is a serious problem, the only other problem, I have had cracked or chapped lips year round for as long as I can remember, I use a good brand of lip balm and if it's too bad I use Vit-E. Can you shed some light on this for me? Millie, South Ga.
Hi Millie. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
If this is the same problem from 50 years ago, springing up again, then it is certainly not anything too serious since it has not caused any harm during the course of time and has not worsened or progressed either.
This kind of feeling in one half of the body is usually related to the central nervous system, the brain and the spinal cord and having it in the left side only means that it is not a generalized condition that would occur with vitamin or mineral deficiencies.
At 75 however, tingling feeling in one half of the body and paraesthesias should be investigated to rule out certain conditions like mini strokes, aneurysms (faulty vessels) in the brain and atrophy of the brain. These conditions most commonly present with auras like the one you mentioned. What it exactly is, would be difficult to suggest without a Neurological examination and a few tests.

If this is causing concern then you should get a neurological examination done which would also include a CT scan of the brain to rule out any organic pathologies in the brain itself, also a carotid artery doppler to rule out any atherosclerosis that has narrowed the arteries down.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied.
If you have more queries or need more information then please reply back.