Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My 86 year old mother has had within the last 10 days, in this

My 86 year old mother has had within the last 10 days, in this order: bladder infection, fainted, left side pain under her ribs and mid chest pain. She received antibiotics for bladder infection and that went away. We initially thought her rib, chest area pain was from fainting. She said it really hurt when breathing. When we took her in for that, the Dr. ordered xray and bloodwork. Xray showed a "mass" in lower part of lung" and blood work showed "high" for whatever indicates a blood clot. So Dr. ordered a stat ct scan on Friday. This showed the "mass" as nothing and that she has "severe multi-vessel coronary heart disease". The Dr. said since she was feeling ok at the time of the scan, to go home, up her aspirin to 325 mg, and call him back on Monday to remind him to have his staff order a "nuclear stress test".

This morning she indicates she feels fine, had some chest pain on her right side but is better now.

Her past heart history : stroke at age 42 and had a procedure two years ago to help with heart palpitations.

Question: ok to wait until tomorrow morning to call to schedule the test? Does anything indicate we should be doing these tests today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does she have any medical problems or take any medication?

Dr. Rick, MD :

I see that you are offline. I will switch to Q&A format. This format works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick, MD : Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?
Dr. Rick, MD : Does she have any medical problems or take any medication?
Dr. Rick, MD :

To directly answer your question:

It sounds like she has been getting excellent care. There is no need to do the test today, even if that were possible as these types of tests are not done on an emergency basis.

You will be perfectly OK calling tomorrow and scheduling the nuclear stress test realizing, of course, that it probably will not actually be done tomorrow, only scheduled for some future date.

I am glad that your Mom is feeling better.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Have a good weekend :)