Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Over the holiday long weekend I was drinking quite heavily

Over the holiday long weekend I was drinking quite heavily for about 4 days straight enjoying the time off (too much it seems), I sprained my leg pretty good on a seadoing accident. Two days later I went to the emergency and found out I got a sprain, they also did blood tests and sent them to my doctor, I had slightly elevated liver enzymes.

I am taking a break from drinking and work on healing my sprain. I didn't want to take any painkillers until I heard back from my doc, as I heard they can be hard on the liver... However my doctor said it was okay if I took some advil or tylenol for the pain. But she didn't say which one or the dosage?

Any suggestions on a painkiller/dosage?

Any suggestions on lowering liver enzymes?

Thanks

Dr. Rick, MD :

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Dr. Rick, MD :

You can take either one of those medications, but since they are both metabolized in the liver there is a small chance they could cause trouble....but this is a small chance.

Dr. Rick, MD :

To be 110% safe, take two extra strength aspirin every up to 4x/day.

Customer:

Is ibuprofen the same as aspirin? and this over tylenol? (thanks)

Dr. Rick, MD :

Your liver should heal, and your liver enzymes return to normal as long as you keep away from the sauce for a while. No specific actions are needed on your part other than eating a healthy diet, exercising (hard to do with a bum leg, I know) and take it easy.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Ibuprofen is not the same as aspirin, and yes, to be extra, extra safe, I would use aspirin (and ice packs on your leg) over tylenol.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes it does. I will buy some aspirin.

Dr. Rick, MD :

Ok. I hope your leg feels better soon. Have a good weeken

Dr. Rick, MD :

weekend...

Dr. Rick, MD :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer:

and take a break from the sauce. thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick, MD :

exactly :)