Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello. My husband is 28 years old. He was diagnosed with low

Hello. My husband is 28 years old. He was diagnosed with low testerone 2 years ago. Since that time he has tried the gels, having the shots at home and at the doctors office. He is prescribed 200mg every 2 weeks. When he first started to recieve it, it made a little improvement but he now constantly feels horrible. Last checked his testosterone level was 190. This upsets me so much because his quality of life is so poor. He has no energy whatsoever and his libido is not there anymore. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : The testosterone level may drift back down after treatment is started because the testosterone itself sends a feedback signal to the pituitary gland which in turn may turn DOWN a man's natural testosterone production.
Anthony Bray, MD : The lower pituitary function may also cause low sperm count as a side effect.... With family planning if fertility is an issue of concern this may be further addressed by endocrinologist ( for one specialist....)
Anthony Bray, MD : Despite his therapy his current levels are still low as for make less than 50...normal range is 290 to 1300 mg/mL ...
Anthony Bray, MD : So both his symptoms and his lab results would suggest need for higher dose of testosterone such as perhaps increase to 250 to 300 mg every two weeks based on his current response....
Anthony Bray, MD : another potential help us sometimes to take the supplement DHEA at 50 to 100 mg/ day ... This supplement is over the counter and in general would be partially converted to testosterone in the body and would typically serve to raise testosterone levels....
Anthony Bray, MD : the supplement DHEA over the counter is a much cheaper option which may help... This option I would not expect to be as potent as the testosterone itself...
Anthony Bray, MD : keep in mind that the downward drift of the testosterone level over time with supplemental treatment is a common frustrating aspect of this treatment.... It is that the level may have looked much better shortly after treatment was started but drifts down with time because the pituitary gland has slacked off in stimulating further testosterone production....
Anthony Bray, MD : I would think that of the different forms if he is provided with the shots to be taken at home then this probably cheaper than the topical forms....
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Hello Dr. Bray. I apologize for the delay is answering you back. But I appreciate your giving me some help and I will absolutely try the things you suggested. I will write you again soon. Thanks!!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
Hello again!

Thank you for your positive feedback! I hope that the situation shows improvement in the coming weeks! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Hello!

This is Dr. Bray from Justanswer.com... We spoke a couple of days ago with regard to treatment if low testosterone. Thank you for your accept and positive feedback! That is very much appreciated! Let me know if you should have any further questions or need for discussion with this or other medical issues. I will be happy to get back with you! You may respond via this link or ask me a question via my profile page at justanswer.com.... That is http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

I hope that the issues that we discussed are successfully resolved. Take Care--

Anthony Bray MD