Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

I lost 2 days of meds when my pill caddy went through the laundry.

I lost 2 days of meds when my pill caddy went through the laundry. My doctors office is closed. I'm wondering if it would be acceptable for them to compensate me the 4 missing meds I need til I can refill the perscription as normal. I'm at sum physical risk to just not take the meds as required and it poses a risk to my personal livlihood. I never lose my meds this is an unusual situation.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Which medication you are on?

Customer:

I am on dextroamphetamine for adhd.

Mysticdoc :

ok

Mysticdoc :

This is a controlled substance.

Mysticdoc :

have you tried the doctor on call?

Customer:

no i dont believe hes on call like that his office is closed.

Mysticdoc :

So on other doctor covers him on weekends?

Mysticdoc :

Usually that is the norm.

Mysticdoc :

In that case, you need to go to the urgent care with your recent prescription or bottle.

Mysticdoc :

This is possible but has to be in person.

Customer:

Its a small practice with just one doc as far as I know. this never happens to me im very diligent about not losing meds. I basically wanted to know if the rx would prob have an issue with dispencing the 4 meds i need til my next refill. If i had another way to aquire the info that i need i wouldnt be pay $55 to chat online to find out...and save myself the humiliation an hassle of dealing with a pharmicist. no offence friend.

Mysticdoc :

There will not be any hassle.

Mysticdoc :

you can refill your script 2 days earlier.

Mysticdoc :

Sometimes, however, insurance may not cover and you may have to pay out of pocket for 4 pills.

Mysticdoc :

But this is a common occurrence --should not be a problem as long as you have valid prescription.

Customer:

i like to arm myself with knowlege...i dont have a valid perscription for 4 meds. i have one for 60 that i cant fill until the tenth.

Mysticdoc :

In that you may still refill your script today in most cases without any problem.

Customer:

i have no issue payn out of pocket for the 4 thats not an issue for me.

Mysticdoc :

In the worst case scenario, you have to pay out of pocket.

Mysticdoc :

But refilling a prescription will not be a problem.

Customer:

so they shouldnt be able to refuse me...its never happend before..this isnt a reoccuring problem with me lol please forgive my bad spelling.

Mysticdoc :

No they will not.

Mysticdoc :

2-3 days early is not a problem.

Mysticdoc :

1 week early is.

Customer:

if they do what do i tell them...?

Mysticdoc :

Explain the situation.

Mysticdoc :

That works usually.

Mysticdoc :

Since you fill from same pharmacy everytime, this should not be a problem.

Customer:

do i have any legal grounds to back myself up with...i been on these meds for 20 years an have had a good bit of discrimination towards me an unjust hassle.

Mysticdoc :

Yes you do ---you have a genuine reason and you are stable on this medication for long time without any past problems.

Mysticdoc :

and you have a valid prexscription.

Customer:

please elaborate a bit...my perscription is valid i assure u sir\mam.

Mysticdoc :

You have been on this medication for long time and you filled this med in time before without any incidence.

Mysticdoc :

Losing 4 pills is not unusual.

Mysticdoc :

And this can happen once in a while

Mysticdoc :

That is why this is not an offense.

Mysticdoc :

As long this is not a pattern, this will not be a problem.

Customer:

I just paid 55 dollars for this I'de like a strait answer please. Can they refuse me or not. are there any legal acts or articles in regards XXXXX XXXXX if i get a hassle. I got responsibilities and i depend on these meds as much as i hate it.

Mysticdoc :

No they cannot refuse.

Mysticdoc :

They can contact your doctor to inform the incident like you are trying.

Mysticdoc :

The refusal part comes when you fail a drug screen or you are a repeat offender without valid reason.

Mysticdoc :

A pharmacist cannot refuse a legal prescription by the way.

Mysticdoc :

The pharmacist needs to contact the doctor issuing it in case any question arises regarding its validity.

Mysticdoc :

Ultimately, the doctor issuing the prescription is legally responsible for your care.

Customer:

ok i understand thank u for ur advice.

Mysticdoc :

Just like a pharmacist cannot write a prescription, he cannot refuse either.

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD