Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I am obese but currently working with a nutritionist and taking

I am obese but currently working with a nutritionist and taking 400mg gabapentin daily for joint area pain in my legs. I have a job that requires me to bend, squat, twist and move frequently throughout the day. I worked very hard yesterday in preparation for starting my upcoming week vacation today. During my work, I pushed a heavy box on the ground using my own body power (arms and leg muscles) about 30-35 yards. I did this 3 times. (No, carts were available, I was being dumb). When I came home my leg muscles hurt so bad I could hardly walk. I took a 500 vocoder and after a while it helped. But now I'm here again awake at 1:30 in the morning only hours away from when I need to help my husband drive cross country for our vacation. How am I supposed to do that in this pain?!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience.

It is not clear what your medical question is.

What can I do to help you get off to the right start on your vacation?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha! Now that I re-read it, Dr Rick, I see what you mean. I think it being 1 am, lack of sleep and being in pain was not a time to communicate. It's later this morning, I've had some more sleep and taken a Vicodin so I'm a little clearer. What I was trying to get at was that I may have pulled some muscles by the silliness I did at work or I may have aggravated the muscle issues I already take the gabapentin for. Or I could be getting bursitis (already have it in my shoulder and elbow). The botXXXXX XXXXXne question is given all my ailments, and the fact that I need to be awake for the next 22 hours (minus 3-4 hrs at a time to sleep) to drive for the beginning of my vacation. Given these parameters, do you have an idea what I did and how to treat it?
Chris,

My entire answer was eaten by the Gremlins that live in the internet :(

Let me retype it again....

I do not think that you have done an serious damage that will impact your vacation. You probably just stressed, or slightly tore, some muscles moving that box. This should heal in time.

If you have a chance before leaving today you should sit in a nice warm tub for thirty minutes. Also take some tylenol to help with the swelling.

While driving try to get out and stretch your legs for 10 minutes every couple of hours so that you don't get too stiff.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned a “10” rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Enjoy your vacation :)
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: 20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC