Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I having epilepsy since I was 5 and have been taking Carbemezapine

I having epilepsy since I was 5 and have been taking Carbemezapine for 20 years and recently switch from Topomax to Vimpat. I have over many years struggled with UTI's, Bacterial vaginosis (vitamin D), GERD (nexium) and IBS. Recently was put on Gabapentin to help with migraines, restless leg and neck pain and then told to go off it ( because I was on too many meds) which I developed Neuropathy down my left leg and my hands. I was then put on Lyrica. I have neck pain in the left side of my neck and shoulder. I also have swollen glands which tend to sometimes get swollen and hurt that are in my neck and behing my ear on the left side. With all of this I cant eat, get light headed and I am very fatigued. I also suffer from migrains and allergies. All my tests for enzymes come back normal for any liver damage. I wanted to know if seeing this there is any connection between all of these things? Anything I can do to improve my quality of life. All of them are treated with different specialist and individually. What about as a whole?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. David. I have read your question and I'm ready to help.

wow, sounds like you have been through so much.

epilepsy, neuropathy.

I am glad your liver enzymes are normal.

16-20% of patients who have epilepsy can eventually develop neuroopathy.

see here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6264351

most likely your neuropathy is related to your epilepsy.

does the lyrica help with the neuropathy?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was really hoping for an answer that could link more of them together and have more of a solution.

I wish there was more of a solution to link many of your issues together as well.

but your situation sounds very complex.

and there is a relationship between epilepsy and your neuropathy.

however, both will need to to continue to be treated

just treating the epilepsy will not get rid of the neuropathy.

if you have neuropathy, this can cause your stomach and your bowels to not work properly as well if nerves going to the stomach and bowels are damaged from neuropathy.

does this make sense?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just want to feel normal again. All of them are going to get me fired from my job and limit any is quality of life. There is not a day that goes by that my day is not effected by something. Feeling beaten down!
I am sorry you are feeling so beaten down.

it must be hard to keep taking so many medications and have so many health problems.

I wish you didn't have to take so many medications.

if you are able to control your gerds with diet control, you might be able to stop the nexium or carafate.

have you talked to your doctor about all of the medications you are taking and if you can cut down on any of them?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tried going off both this week. Abdominal pain started again going around left side to my back and extreme nausea. Tried going off lyrica too and neuropathy started in my hands. Back to all of them now!
have you had testing to check for H Pylori infection? this can worsen stomach acid and gerds.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think so?
you should talk to your doctor about testing for H Pylori bacterial infection in your stomach.

this test can be done by stool antigen testing or blood antibody testing or bacterial cultures from your stomach fluids obtained by upper endoscopy.

if your are postiive for H Pylori, it can be treated with 2 antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor to help clear the infection and help decrease stomach acid production. this might help get you eventually off of acid blockers
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just had and upper GI and several things sent to biopsy. No results yet. The valve over stomach doesn't close properly.
I see

Ask your doctors if they tested for h pylori

The biopsies should give more information

Let me know what the biopsy shows

And if you have other questions
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.