Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Greetings Dr. Cameron, I am currently having burning pain in

Customer Question

Greetings Dr. Cameron, I am currently having burning pain in left calf that sometimes travel to top ankle area. Sometimes the pain starts lower left back. I have not tried anything other than pain killers... and I really do not like to take them. Once the feeling was so severe, i placed an emt ice pack on the area. The area was so hot, i heard popping sounds. after removing the ice.. i found that the ice had burned the area. Speaking with relatives and friends who have the same symptom and tried everything from acupuncture, chiropractor, massage therapy etc--and found no relief. I am at a lost because i do not have the resources to try so many things not to be relieved.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

thank you for requesting me

Dr. Cameron :

are you still there?

Dr. Cameron :

have you had any studies? Like MRI?

Customer:

Hello Dr. Cameron, I have not had any studies.

Dr. Cameron :

thanks for the reply

Dr. Cameron :

well, burning pain is nerve pain

Dr. Cameron :

It can feel intensely hot

Dr. Cameron :

It can be prickly or even electrical

Dr. Cameron :

things which cause this can be systemic- like alcohol related toxicity of the nerves, low thyroid, vitamin deficiency

Dr. Cameron :

or they can be focal

Dr. Cameron :

like nerve compression

Dr. Cameron :

Now, a systemic issue would cause diffuse symptoms

Dr. Cameron :

and you would have problems in the other leg

Dr. Cameron :

focal symptoms as you describe imply an issue coming from the back which is compressing the nerve traveling down to the leg

Dr. Cameron :

You need to have a MRI of the back

Dr. Cameron :

you may have a stenosis (narrowing) or a bulging (slipped) disc

Dr. Cameron :

THe treatment is different

Dr. Cameron :

nerve medications may help, but ultimately, you may need injections in the spine or even surgery- which will help A LOT

Customer:

Hello r u there

Dr. Cameron :

hi did you see what I wrote?

Customer:

OK, i am waiting for a response. Was this a mistake? did i just throw away J$3280 of hard to come by funds?

Dr. Cameron :

I just wrote to you

Dr. Cameron :

can you see what I wrote?

Dr. Cameron :

I wrote you a long reply

Customer:

OK Dr. I saw your reply...

Dr. Cameron :

thanks for the reply

5:15 PM

well, burning pain is nerve pain

5:16 PM

It can feel intensely hot

5:16 PM

It can be prickly or even electrical

5:16 PM

5:16 PM

or they can be focal

5:16 PM

like nerve compression

5:16 PM

5:17 PM

5:17 PM

5:17 PM

You need to have a MRI of the back

5:17 PM

5:17 PM

THe treatment is different

5:18 PM

Customer:

Are there not any herbal remedy for this?

Dr. Cameron :

No, there is not an herbal remedy for this

Dr. Cameron :

unless you consider marijuana a remedy :-)

Customer:

drinking marijuana tea might help?

Dr. Cameron :

well, i am not supposed to advise that you use illicit drugs, but marijuana has been used for pain control in a variety of situations including neuropathic pain as you describe

Customer:

An MRI in Jamaica can be quite expensive.. so i know that will not be!

Dr. Cameron :

Well, do what you can with the tea, but ultimately you may need a MRI to truly address the issue

Customer:

Could lifting heavy objects improperly be the culprit to my condition?

Dr. Cameron :

absolutely

Dr. Cameron :

they can cause a herniated disc and pain as use describe

Customer:

Well Dr., I don't know what will be the end result of this malady. I hope somehow it will remedy itself.

Dr. Cameron :

well, you need to have a MRI to see what is going on. YOu can try the tea.

Dr. Cameron :

you can also try exercises to see if they help strengthen your back and prevent worsening injury

Dr. Cameron :

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00302

Customer:

what are nerve medications i might be able to take other than ganja tea

Dr. Cameron :

neurotin

Dr. Cameron :

elavil

Dr. Cameron :

gabapentin

Dr. Cameron :

lyrica

Customer:

these most be prescribed i gather

Dr. Cameron :

yes they are

Customer:

the site that you mentioned will assist with stretches etc.

Dr. Cameron :

correct

Customer:

There is nothing else to ask. Thank you for you assistance.

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome

Dr. Cameron :

did i provide you with excellent service?

Dr. Cameron :

:-)

Customer:

You answered my questions. Not sure how accurate because i have not sought other assistance. Don't want to get into a depression because of this. It really is uncomfortable and prevent me from doing my daily routine. stretching helps sometimes. And I really hate taking pain pills. i have to consider all that you have told me. Next week after continued research or getting a prescription of your suggestion--and after much relief, I will know how excellent u r. Good is all i can give at this time.

Dr. Cameron : Did I provide you excellent service based on the information that you gave me? Please understand the limitations of this site.
Dr. Cameron : i spent over 30 minutes with you
Customer:

OK Dr. Cameron, I appreciate your assistance. I will give you the Excellent Service. Next week after trying your suggestions, if they work... I will give you a SUPER Excellent service Rating.

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing