Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

I get small spaghetti like lumps on my biceps and they sometimes

Customer Question

I get small spaghetti like lumps on my biceps and they sometimes hurt then when i push them or massage them they go. Iv noticed they come about more when im stressed but Im really worried about what they are. They only really stay aroung my bicep area, Iv seen them once on my front shoulder and bicep but only really on my bicep.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Cameron :

hello

Dr. Cameron :

Do you exercise a lot?

Dr. Cameron :

are you thin?

Customer:

I used to exercise alot. then i stopped and have been back doing it again for the past month

Customer:

I am about 5ft10 and about 13 stone 12 pounds

Customer:

probaly 20% bf

Dr. Cameron :

are they like little ropes?

Dr. Cameron :

any other medical problems or medications? drugs?

Customer:

yes they can do, the can look like little wropes that bunch up as well

Customer:

no I have nothing like that and dont use drugs

Dr. Cameron :

do they always appear in the same place?

Customer:

i smoke cigerettes though

Customer:

usually my right arm but today way my left and quite painful when i flexed my arm but i massaged it and it went away

Customer:

once on the front of my deltoid

Dr. Cameron :

hold on

Customer:

is it serious?

Dr. Cameron :

sorry

Dr. Cameron :

okay

Dr. Cameron :

well, usually rope like lumps as you describe are veins

Customer:

ok, but i cant see any veins like of the blue colour these just looked like raised skin

Dr. Cameron :

right- because they are deeper

Dr. Cameron :

now they can become bulging if there are clots in them

Dr. Cameron :

this is called phlebitis

Dr. Cameron :

and one of the risk factors is smoking

Dr. Cameron :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thrombophlebitis/DS00223

Dr. Cameron :

That being said, this is something that you need to follow up with your doctor for

Dr. Cameron :

because if you are having phlebitis in your extremities, you may need a work up for why

Customer:

so because I can push them away what does this mean?

Dr. Cameron :

it means that whatever was temporarily clogging them was massaged away and so the blood can flow and they go down

Customer:

I see, so what should my actions be?

Dr. Cameron :

You need to make an appointment with your GP

Dr. Cameron :

If you have any shortness of breath or chest pain, you need to go to A&E

Customer:

Iv had it for about 8 months on and off

Customer:

no shortness of breath

Dr. Cameron :

right- but this needs to be worked up

Customer:

ok I see

Customer:

so this is what you recon it is

Customer:

Il book with my doctor

Dr. Cameron :

correct

Dr. Cameron :

Please keep me posted.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service?

Customer:

Iv paid for a one off on here I belive though

Dr. Cameron :

what does that mean

Customer:

I paid £18 to speak to you

Customer:

how do I re contact if i wnted to?

Customer:

go through the same process

Dr. Cameron :

no, you can post here

Dr. Cameron :

this chat is yours

Dr. Cameron :

I told you what the likely possibility of this issue is and that you need to see your doctor to have it worked up.

Dr. Cameron :

that is what you paid for.

Customer:

ok last time I went to the doctor they just said they had no idea as I was able to push them away and they are infrequent and told me to go away

Dr. Cameron :

hmmm. Take a picture of them.

Dr. Cameron :

And you may end up needing to see a specialist-

Customer:

i did actually, and they are so small that the doctor finds it hard to see the raising

Customer:

i was scared it was cancer but the doctor said if it was a lump for cancer you wouldnt just be able to push it away is this correct?

Dr. Cameron :

Conditions that increase the tendency for blood to coagulate, such as a familial deficiency in anti-clotting factors or disorders like systemic lupus erythematosus.

Dr. Cameron :

Correct, you cannot push cancer away

Dr. Cameron :

but I think that you need to be worked up for possible clotting issues which are causing this

Dr. Cameron :

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heart_vascular_institute/conditions_treatments/conditions/thrombophlebitis.html

Dr. Cameron :

Print out this chat and show it to your GP and take a pic of them

Customer:

ok and its normal to get it in both arms yes?

Dr. Cameron :

no, it is not- which is why I am telling you that you need to have this investigated

Customer:

I mean its normal symptoms of what you have said to get it in both arms

Dr. Cameron :

yes, you can

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Cameron :

you are welcome

Customer:

il go to the doctor again but im scared they will send me away

Dr. Cameron :

then go to another doctor

Dr. Cameron :

some can be not nice

Customer:

England is different to USA I dont have loads of doctors

Customer:

they dont want to look at me

Dr. Cameron :

actually I studied in scotland

Dr. Cameron :

and you do have choices

Dr. Cameron :

you always have another choice- or you can get a quick consultation if you go private

Customer:

so you think its DVT and il tell the doctor that

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Cameron :

no, I think it is phlebitis

Dr. Cameron :

a little different

Dr. Cameron :

DVT is deep vein thrombosis

Customer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlebitis

Dr. Cameron :

Phlebitis is the inflammation of a vein, usually in the legs. It most commonly occurs in superficial veins. Phlebitis often occurs in conjunction with thrombosis and is then called "thrombophlebitis" or "superficial thrombophlebitis" - an annoying but not harmful condition[1] (as opposed to deep vein thrombosis).

Dr. Cameron :

AS OPPOSED TO DEEP VEIN THROMBOSIS

Customer:

so its not life threatening then

Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

il keep this chat up to show my doc

Dr. Cameron :

ok

Customer:

have a nice evening or morning what ever time it is there

Customer:

:)

Dr. Cameron :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)

Customer:

if i send the review can I still see this chat?

Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a photo of it now if that helps?

put it up
or send me a public link
like photobucket or snapfish